Stacy's Weekly Mashup: PollDaddy, DailyLit, Gradefix, Qnext, Cute Overload
Welcome to the new and improved weekly mashup - Now 10 times more mashupy than the old mashup!
Web 2.0 Sites:
- Dizzler - Search online and play free music, videos, games, and radio stations on your desktop or mobile device.
- cyn.in - Manage all your rich content, audio, video, images, documents, presentations, spreadsheets, drawings, archives and any type of files.
- blinkx - Search over 6,000,000 hours of TV and viral video content at the world's largest video search engine.
- PollDaddy - Create polls and place them on your website or blog.
- GuruLib - Catalog your books, DVDs, music CDs, games and software online.
- Gradefix - Organizes and prioritizes all of your homework so you are always on top of it.
- Notecentric - Keeps your notes organized and readily available online.
- DailyLit - Read books by email.
- Zotero - A Firefox extension to help you collect, manage, and cite your research sources.
- LearnOutLoud - Free audio books, lectures, speeches, sermons, interviews, and many other great free audio and video resources.
Freeware Feature of the Week: Qnext - "The Swiss Army Knife of Internet Communications Tools"
Wallpaper of the Week: Jack O' lantern
The Week in Geek News:
- CBS, YouTube Strike Content, Ad Partnership - PC Magazine
- Web Video Search Site Blinkx Signs Microsoft Pact - eWeek
- Google May Shield YouTube From Legal Hassles - PC World
- Teenager moves video icons just by imagination - Washington University in St. Louis News & Information
- ICANN says it can't shut off Spamhaus - Ars Technica
- Thousands of UK consumers victims to data theft - TechWorld
- The future isn't what it used to be - MSNBC
- Florida Judge Wants To See 'Bully' in Court - The Washington Post
- Wisconsin library joins Google book project - CNN
- Sony's getting back into the video Walkman game - Engadget
Flickr Image of the Week: by Mr. Gomez
Top Blog Picks:
- Cute Overload - An overwhelming amount of cuteness to fillr daily visual allowance.
- David Bryne Journal - Still hip, Bryne writes about the entertainment industry from his unique perspective.
- Memethereapy - Life from a science fiction point of view.
- Optical Illusions Etc - Challenge your skills of perception.
- This Is Broken - A project to make businesses more aware of theircustomer experience, and how to fix it.
Article of the Week: 118 Ways to Save Money in College - Scholarships Around the US
Art Site of the Week: The Art of Science Competition - Princeton University, 2006
Video of the Week: Sketching Physics
Geek Tip: - Did you know that hairspray can remove those ink stains from your shirt pockets? Spray it directly on the stain and blot with a clean towel until it vanishes then rinse out the hairspray with water.
That's it for this week! For a compiled list of links from past articles, visit the Weekly Mashup Archive. My thanks goes out to Robert and Rana for recommending some great sites this week! Do you have any comments or suggestions for future mashups? Let's talk it up in the forums! Click Discuss this Article below.
Stacy Reed is Tucows' resident software librarian and editor. She has been reviewing PC and mobile software as well as web services for over a decade. Helping developers improve and promote their products is only one of her areas of expertise. Stacy is also an advocate for Open Source, Creative Commons and freeware, taking special interest in educational resources, social media, cloud sharing, and mobile technology.