Stacy's Weekly Mashup: PDF Pad, Phetch, Calcoolate, Colib, CrunchGear, Zunafish
Welcome to the new and improved weekly mashup - Now 10 times more mashupy than the old mashup!
Web 2.0 Sites:
- Phetch - A fun game in which you seek the described image via search engine.
- Tech Talk Network - An interactive network for technologists, where you can hear the top technology podcasts, get the latest news & information and share ideas with colleagues.
- Tuggle - Makes managing your organization simple, fun, and paper-free.
- Calcoolate - A web based calculator and conversion tool.
- Create A Graph - Make many types of colorful graphs online.
- Newgie - Making it easy to find the news that matters most.
- BananaSlug - Your search + random word = great results!
- Zunafish - Lets you trade your old media items for new titles you'd rather have.
- iCollector - The premier site for eBay live auctions events.
- Colib - A book, CD, DVD and media manager you share with your friends.
Freeware Feature of the Week: PDF Pad - Download and print the high quality documents you need for work, school and play, free of charge.
Wallpaper of the Week: Fall Reflection, 2003
The Week in Geek News:
- This 'Bully' Isn't So Tough - Washington Post
- Linux for PlayStation 3 Officially Announced - IGN
- Samsung Shows 70-Inch HD LCD Panel - CIO
- Apple shipped iPods carrying computer virus - MSNBC
- McAfee says Microsoft fails to keep EU bargain - Reuters
- First security flaw signaled in IE7 - Computerworld
- Irked users seek clarification over Vista licensing - InfoWorld
- Adobe Buys 'Ovation' Maker Serious Magic - PC Magazine
- HP beats Dell on global PC shipments - VNU
- McAfee Releases Free iPod Malware Removal Tool - Podcasting News
Flickr Image of the Week: by derectus
Top Blog Picks:
- 099 - Every day at 9:09, Jean-Michel posts a picture of himself on this blog.
- The Apple Blog - A Mac geek blog with articles from over 40 contributers.
- Real Tech News - Independent tech news.
- CrunchGear - A blog covering gadgets, gear and computer hardware.
- Software Marketing Resource - This is a resource for developers, publishers and software authors.
Article of the Week: America's Internet Addiction - DailyTech
Art Site of the Week: Gallery of Computation - Jared Tarbell
Video of the Week: Human Computation
Geek Tip:CNN - Listening to loud music with earphones on a digital music player for more than 90 minutes a day can damage your hearing. You should never listen to your headphones at 100 percent volume. Scientific studies found no problems for people who listened to music at 10 percent to 50 percent of maximum volume for extended periods.
Well, that's it for this week! For a compiled list of links from the older mashup articles, visit the Weekly Mashup Archive. Would you like to suggest a site for future mashups? Let's talk it up in the forums! Click Discuss this Article below.
Stacy Reed is Tucows' resident software librarian and editor. She has been reviewing PC and mobile software as well as web services for over a decade. Helping developers improve and promote their products is only one of her areas of expertise. Stacy is also an advocate for Open Source, Creative Commons and freeware, taking special interest in educational resources, social media, cloud sharing, and mobile technology.