|Software that can help||Good for||Cow Rating|
Web 2.0 Sites:
- Anothr - A Skype-based robot which can providejust-in-time alerts for your favorite feeds
- oDesk - Buyers of services can hire, manage, and pay technology service providers from around the world
- Scrybe - An online/offline organizer
- MediaSite - A search tool that helps you find expert presentations and lectures
- Google SMS - Instant access to very useful information
- ScribbleHere - Quickly create a place on the web for you and others to chat in real time
- PledgeBank - Start your own pledge
- Telling Stories - Telling Stories will help you create a heartfelt presentation for any occasion
- Nowsy - A personal information and news dashboard
- Blockbuster Online - Rent movies online and return them by mail or drop off at a participating BLOCKBUSTER store, where you can exchange them for new movies on the spot.
Freeware Feature of the Week: BarracudaDrive - You can securely upload, download, and manage your files on your home computer from anywhere in the world.
Wallpaper of the Week: Autumn in Shenandoah
The Week in Geek News:
- Could Copyright Fight Strip YouTube of Future Content? - ABC News
- MySpace Inks Deal to Block Copyright Infringers - TechNewsWorld
- Will Open Source Vendors Be Priced Out? - TechNewsWorld
- Zend and Microsoft patch PHP hole - Computer Business Review Online
- First Look: Nokia E62 and T-Mobile Dash - Washington Post
- Experts downplay Windows XP vulnerability - vnunet
- Samsung develops 16-chip MCP technology - DigiTimes
- Google Offers Java-based Mobile Gmail - BetaNews
- Microsoft Vista to Release on Nov 30 - Techtree
- A Science of the Web Begins - Scientific American
Flickr Image of the Week: by A. Denomay
Top Blog Picks:
Article of the Week: How to Buy an MP3 Player - Washington Post
Art Site of the Week: Retrievr - Search and explore in a selection of Flickr images by drawing a rough sketch
Video of the Week: Reactable
Geek Tip: - Did you know that you should give your home computer a thorough cleaning once every 5 months or so? However, if you smoke or have pets, you should clean every 3 months.
Well, that about does it for this week! For a compiled list of links from past articles, visit the Weekly Mashup Archive. My thanks goes out to Justin, Wini, and Dan for recommending some of these awesome sites this week! Do you have any comments or suggestions for future mashups? Let's talk it up in the forums! Click Discuss this Article below.
Stacy Reed is Tucows' resident software librarian and editor. She has been reviewing PC and mobile software as well as web services for over a decade. Helping developers improve and promote their products is only one of her areas of expertise. Stacy is also an advocate for Open Source, Creative Commons and freeware, taking special interest in educational resources, social media, cloud sharing, and mobile technology.