Web 2.0 Sites:
- Courio - A fast, secure and direct method of sending files of almost any size
- Timeline - A widget for visualizing time-based events
- QMIND - E-learning storyboard and rich media design collaboration
- SpringMind - A widget engine for the desktop and the web
- OrganizedHome - Printables to help you get organized
- Revver - the first viral video network that pays
- Splashcast - Channel yourself across the web
- Like - Search for things that look similar
- Quintura Online Search -Transform Searching into Finding!
- ConceptShare - Create and manage interactive workspaces collaboratively
Freeware Feature of the Week: pGeep - Easy encryption of emails and files alike
Screensaver of the Week: Skeleton Adventures - NEW!
The Week in Geek News:
- Wikipedia: hacked and infected! - iTWire
- Zune problems for MSN customers - BBC News
- Office 2007 Sees Gold - DailyTech
- 13 Nations Denounced for Web Censorship - ABC News
- Web 2.0 investment booms (data on big players & note on Intel) - Venture Beat
- Intel Announces Web 2.0 Suite - Red Herring
- Microsoft buying $240 million worth of SUSE Linux - Ars Technica
- Google denies $500 million lawsuit fund for YouTube - Pocket-lint
- Google Sends Virus to 50,000 People - NewsFactor Network
- Universal Music to get a cut of every Zune sold - Pocket-lint
Flickr Image of the Week: by Charlie Tan
Top Blog Picks:
Article of the Week: America's Internet Disconnect - Washington Post
Art Site of the Week: Color Palette Generator - Enter the URL of an image to get a color palette that matches the image. This is useful for coming up with a website color palette that matches a key image a client wants to work with.
Video of the Week: The Electric Sheep and their Dreams in High Fidelity
Geek Tip: Don't know how to touch type yet? What are you waiting for? It's true that touch-typers can type faster, they make less typos and they don't suffer as much from carpal tunnel syndrome! We have a large collection of software that can help you with your typing skills. There are also free touch typing games online that help make learning fun!
Well, that concludes the list of links for this week, folks! For a compiled list of links from past articles, visit the Weekly Mashup Archive. You can find more helpful sites and online services in our new Web 2.0 library! My thanks goes out to Chris, Yakov, and Marcos for recommending some excellent sites this week! Do you have any comments or suggestions for future mashups? I'd love to hear from you! Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or click Discuss this Article below to leave a message in the forums.
Stacy Reed is Tucows' resident software librarian and editor. She has been reviewing PC and mobile software as well as web services for over a decade. Helping developers improve and promote their products is only one of her areas of expertise. Stacy is also an advocate for Open Source, Creative Commons and freeware, taking special interest in educational resources, social media, cloud sharing, and mobile technology.