|Software that can help||Good for||Cow Rating|
|LogMeIn Free includes: access from any Internet-connected Web browser; access to a Windows...|
Web 2.0 Sites:
- haiku LMS - Learning management system for teachers and educators
- Power Up My Site - Drag-and-drop form designer for your site
- ChaCha Search - A smart search engine powered by human intelligence
- Kiva - Connect with and loan money to unique small businesses in the developing world
- DormItem - Free college classifieds
- Helium - Reading, writing and rating... and even more - reward
- Document Converter eXPress - Convert files to PDF or image without installing special software
- Smilebox - Create seasonal e-cards, animated scrapbooks, slide shows and interactive postcards
- Sugarcodes - A unique way to search and navigate the web
- Mochila - An online content marketplace for publishers, editors, creators and advertisers.
Freeware Feature of the Week: LogMeIn - Provides remote access to your home and work PCs from anywhere with an Internet connection.
Screensaver of the Week: SeaStorm 3D Screensaver
The Week in Geek News:
- Low-Cost Laptop Could Transform Learning - ABC News
- 5 Disruptive Technologies To Watch In 2007 - InformationWeek
- Something Wiki Is Coming to the Web Search Market - New York Times
- Microsoft in Sync with Ford - WhatPC?
- Amazon.com Has 'Best Ever' Sales in 2006 - ABC News
- Macs and PCs Vulnerable to QuickTime Hack - Sci-Tech Today
- Five Hackers Who Left a Mark on 2006 - eWeek
- Dotcom billionaire launches his own spacecraft - The Times
- Acrobat hole open for exploit - TechWorld
- Legal fight over Bluetooth chips - BBC News
Flickr Image of the Week: by Jay Lara
Top Blog Picks:
Article of the Week: GameSpy's Game of the Year 2006 - GameSpy
Art Site of the Week: Photojojo - A free newsletter on photography
Video of the Week: The Inner Life of the Cell
Geek Tip:Did you know that you can quickly access your Firefox bookmarks simply by assigning keywords? To do so, go to your Bookmarks menu, right-click on the bookmark and select Properties. When that window opens, you can assign a shortcut to the bookmark. Let's say you have Tucows bookmarked. Just assign the letter "t" in the Keyword box, and click OK. The next time you want to visit Tucows, just type the letter "t" in the address bar and press Enter. Voila! You can use any variety of keywords or letters as shortcuts to your favorite bookmarks this way!
Happy New Year everyone! Thank you, Greg and Brian, for writing in and sharing some awesome links with us this week!
What? You want more? Well, you can find an archive of past articles here and the new Web 2.0 portion of the site contains many listings showcasing todays top web services! Do you have any comments or suggestions? Click Discuss this Article below to post your comment in the forums or send an email to email@example.com
Stacy Reed is Tucows' resident software librarian and editor. She has been reviewing PC and mobile software as well as web services for over a decade. Helping developers improve and promote their products is only one of her areas of expertise. Stacy is also an advocate for Open Source, Creative Commons and freeware, taking special interest in educational resources, social media, cloud sharing, and mobile technology.