Stacy's Weekly Mashup: Wize, Wikia, Wablet, Thinkature, Querty Warriors
|Published:||Jan 25, 2007|
Web 2.0 Sites:
- Wize - Unbiased product ranking based on thousands of expert and user reviews
- Wikia - Build a free content wiki-based website
- Tellme - Voice-Enabled Search, interactive maps, simplified directions
- Wablet - Integrates caller ID to allow anyone to connect with anyone from a web page
- Thinkature - Real-time collaboration for the Web
- OthersOnline - Browse people while you browse the web
- radiusIM - See where your friends are and who else is around
- Businesscardland - Free business card maker and templates
- YourDraft - WYSIWYG shareable drafts without the need to register
- BigCartel - Create a shop to sell your goods online with as little fuss as possible
Freeware Feature of the Week: Querty Warriors - Type as fast as you can to shoot your enemies before they shoot you
The Week in Geek News:
- Retailers Hope Windows Vista Will Boost Sales - ABC News
- Which Comes First -- the Programming or the Sets? - Washington Post
- Record labels rethink digital rights management at Midem - International Herald Tribune
- Honours probe police hacked No10 computers - Telegraph
- Google plots e-books coup - Times Online
- Google antiphishing site reveals names, passwords - ComputerWorld
- Alleged Software, Movie Pirate Turns Himself In - Washington Post
- China to Beat US in Online Users? - Techtree
- Making Peace With the PC - ABC News
- Sony to launch high-end PS3 in Europe on March 23 - Reuters
Flickr Image of the Week: bytoxickaty
Top Blog Picks:
Article of the Week: Low End Theory: Tightwads Need Tranquility, Too - Gizmodo
Art Site of the Week: Whateverland - by Archie FlorCruz
Video of the Week: RuBot II - The Rubik's cube solving robot.
Geek Tip: This week's Geek Tip comes from TweakGuides.com:
If you are tired of the way Half Life 2 automatically saves your game every time you turn a corner or meet (or defeat) a new character, you can use two tweaks to disable autosaving in the game. Firstly, refer to the sv_autosave command in the Advanced Tweaking section, as using this will disable the autosaving which occurs at the start of new levels. You'll have to insert sv_autosave 0 in the autoexec.cfg file to disable it.
Secondly, go to your \Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\[username]\half-life 2\hl2\ directory, and find the following files:
Right-click on each file, select Properties and tick the 'Read Only' box to make each unable to be written to. This prevents Half Life 2 from actually performing a save onto these autosave files, and in the process you reduce all the saving pauses within levels as you pass certain autosave points.
If you wish you can choose to disable one form of autosaving and not the other, and if you do disable both then make very sure that you manually save often, either by using the Save option, your Quicksave key, or the save console command.
Well, there you go, folks, we've concluded another weekly mashup, but never fear! There will be another one right around the corner! You can find an archive of past articles here. Thank you Edwardo, Dave and Jaime for emailing your suggestions! Do you know of a great site that's worth sharing? Do you have any comments or suggestions? Click Discuss this Article below to post your comment in the forums or send an email to email@example.com
Stacy Reed is Tucows' resident software librarian and editor. She has been reviewing PC and mobile software as well as web services for over a decade. Helping developers improve and promote their products is only one of her areas of expertise. Stacy is also an advocate for Open Source, Creative Commons and freeware, taking special interest in educational resources, social media, cloud sharing, and mobile technology.