Stacy's Weekly Mashup: OpenDNS, Oodle, Visuwords, Simple Ticket...
|Published:||Feb 8, 2007|
Web 2.0 Sites:
- OpenDNS - Speed up your Internet experience, increase reliability, improve security and make DNS smarter
- Treasuremytext - Never delete another SMS message again
- Mozes - Create and share content on your mobile phone
- Meebo Me - A widget that lets you chat with people on your site
- Oodle Classifieds - A search engine for local classifieds
- Visuwords - An online visual dictionary
- Mobio - 50 dynamic applications and widgets, 10 mobile collections to fit your style
- FooPlot - Online graphing calculator and plotter
- Ninjawords - Really fast dictrionary... fast like a ninja
- Box.net - Share your files on your blog
Freeware Feature of the Week: SimpleTicket - The first Ruby on Rails based trouble ticket system released as an open source project
Wallpaper of the Week: Manhattan
The Week in Geek News:
- Jobs calls for DRM-free music world - The Register
- Apple: No iTunes For You If You Have Vista! - Playfuls.com
- Princeton libraries join Google book-scan project - Reuters
- Microsoft raises tech-support prices for end users - Monsters and Critics
- New York may ban iPods while crossing street - Washington Post
- Callers Find Savings With Internet Phones - ABC News
- MySpace eBay Store Coming? - Mashable
- Hackers Attack Net. Bet You Never Noticed - ABC News
- Can Amazon and TiVo win TV download supremacy? - iTWire
- Video Games Can Improve Your Vision - PC World
Flickr Image of the Week: by bch12
Top Blog Picks:
Article of the Week: The Mighty Magnetism of the Big Screen - Washington Post
Video of the Week: Web 2.0 ... The Machine is Us/ing Us
Geek Tip:This week's tip comes from Apple - People who are upgrading to Windows Vista may have some compatibility issues with Apple's iTunes. While Apple is preparing to address a number of these issues in the next release of the software, there are some steps you can take now to improve your iTunes experience once you've installed Vista.
- Deauthorize all iTunes Store accounts.
- Enable Disk Use on all iPod models.
- Uninstall iTunes.
- Perform a clean install of Windows Vista (Highly recommended but not required).
- Reinstall the latest version of iTunes.
- Open iTunes.
- Choose Authorize Computer from the Store menu in iTunes.
Thanks for stopping by for another healthy serving of links to this week's Web goodies! If you're looking for more, you can find an archive of past articles here. Keep the links coming, everyone! If you know of a great site that's worth sharing, or if you have any comments or suggestions, please drop me a line. I'd love to hear from you! Click Discuss this Article below to post your comment in the forums or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Stacy Reed is Tucows' resident software librarian and editor. She has been reviewing PC and mobile software as well as web services for over a decade. Helping developers improve and promote their products is only one of her areas of expertise. Stacy is also an advocate for Open Source, Creative Commons and freeware, taking special interest in educational resources, social media, cloud sharing, and mobile technology.