Stacy's Weekly Mashup: OnShare, Dabble DB, Twitter, ImageJ, Widgets Lab, Deleting Temp Files...
|Published:||Mar 15, 2007|
|Software that can help||Good for||Cow Rating|
|ImageJ is a public domain Java image processing program inspired by NIH Image for the...|
Web 2.0 Sites:
- Many Eyes - View your data, ask questions, and share your discoveries.
- OnShare - See, hear and share your friends' files as if they were on your own computer
- Twitter -A community of friends and strangers answering one simple question: What are you doing?
- divvio - Fresh audio and video content served daily
- Toolbar Builder - Build your own personalized toolbar for Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers
- Famster - Create a private social network site for your family
- Dabble DB - Build social databases and web applications online
- WindowsSecrets - WinFind - Search for information regarding the use of Microsoft products, like Windows XP, Vista, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Windows Update, and more
- TaskAnyone - Keep track of your daily to-dos plus send tasks to anyone with an email address
- Zlio - Create your own online shop where you can offer thousands of product
Freeware Feature of the Week: ImageJ - A public domain Java image processing program that runs, either as an online applet or as a downloadable application, on any computer with a Java 1.4 or later virtual machine. Downloadable distributions are available for Windows, Mac OS, Mac OS X and Linux.
Wallpaper of the Week: Galactic Skip
The Week in Geek News:
- Adobe Creative Suite 3.0 launch confirmed for March 27 - AppleInsider
- Tech Researchers Calculate Digital Info - Washington Post
- Geschw䴺ige WGA Notification - Heise Online
- No E-Mail Fridays Transform Office -ABC News
- Viacom sues YouTube over copyrights - ABCmoney
- Google Talk Gadget - Google Talkabout
- Blu-ray aims to oust DVDs within three years - Reuters
- PlayStation 3 taking a role in Alzheimer's fight - SFGate
- Cisco Buys WebEx for $3.2 Billion - TechCrunch
- NBC To Offer On-Demand TV on the Go - NewsFactor Network
Flickr Image of the Week: by liup
Top Blog Picks:
- Eric's Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Idea
- Linkadelic Magazine
- The Life of Riley
- Wooster Collective
- Widgets Lab
Article of Last Week: The Case for Lossless Audio Compression - Washington Post
Art Site of the Week: Imagekind - An online community for creating, buying and selling art
Video of the Week: Octopus Vs Shark
Geek Tip: Delete your temp files on shutdown - PC Tips Box provides this great tip for Windows XP users. From the article: "It is really easy to set Windows XP to delete the contents of your Temp folder (or run any other commands) on shutdown. There are numerous reasons why you might want to delete your Temporary files when you shutdown Windows XP." Click on the link to find out what the reasons are and learn just how easy it can be configure.
That wraps things up for yet another week, but if you're looking for more, you can find an archive of past articles here. Keep the links coming, everyone! My thanks goes out to Peter and Dan for submitting a couple of great Web 2.0 sites this week. Do you know of a great site that's worth sharing? Do you have any comments or suggestions? I want to hear from you! Click Discuss this Article below to post your comment in the forums or send an email to email@example.com
Stacy Reed is Tucows' resident software librarian and editor. She has been reviewing PC and mobile software as well as web services for over a decade. Helping developers improve and promote their products is only one of her areas of expertise. Stacy is also an advocate for Open Source, Creative Commons and freeware, taking special interest in educational resources, social media, cloud sharing, and mobile technology.