Stacy's Weekly Mashup: LinkedIn, Flock, Vast, AjaxAMP, TechJunction, Customize Icons in Vista...
|Published:||Mar 22, 2007|
Web 2.0 Sites:
- LinkedIn - Be more effective in your daily work and open doors to opportunities using the professional relationships you already have
- IMified - Instant to-do's, notes, reminders and access to the applications you use everyday without launching your browser
- Flock - A web browser that makes it easier to share media and connect to other people online
- FireAnt - A great way to discover, watch, and subscribe to Internet TV channels and podcasts
- co.mments - Bookmark posts you want to follow and this will track new comments for you, so you don't miss out
- Browster - Quickly see previews of the web pages returned in Google searches
- 2ReCall - Record your calls directly from any phone and store conversations online
- Dexly - Tracking new Web 2.0 technology
- Vast - Tracking 25 million classified listings across 70,000 sites
- Pingdom - Web site monitoring the easy way
Freeware Feature of the Week: AjaxAMP - Allows you to access Winamp over the network using a web browser and control it or stream music to or from it.
Wallpaper of the Week: Maelstrom2b
The Week in Geek News:
- NFL fumbles DMCA takedown battle, could face sanctions - Ars Technica
- Beware of Digital Don Juans - ABC News
- Apple TV goes on sale - TimesOnline
- MySpace Aims to 'Impact' Presidential Race - TechNewsWorld
- Google share gains quicken in U.S. search market - Washington Post
- Microsoft: Breached Xbox Live Accounts- Just Isolated Incidents - Playfuls
- Confirmed: TV Networks Launch New Company To Counter Perceived Google/YouTube Threat - TechCrunch
- Intel Capital invests $40 million in DTV chipmaker - Washington Post
- Cell Phone Saints - ABC News
- New batteries run on sugar, are susceptible to cavities - SCI FI Tech
Flickr Image of the Week: by Paris Steve
Top Blog Picks:
Article of the Week: Analysis: Why America Needs a Google Phone - PC Magazine
Art Site of the Week: Mr Picassohead
Video of the Week: Super Mario
Geek Tip: Show, hide or resize desktop icons in Windows Vista - This tip comes from Windows Help and How-To.
To show desktop icons, right-click the desktop, point to View, and then click Show Desktop Icons. A check mark will appear, indicating that desktop icons are displayed on your desktop.
To hide desktop icons, right-click the desktop, point to View, and then click Show Desktop Icons to clear the check mark.Note: Hiding all of the icons on your desktop doesn't delete them, it just hides them until you choose to show them again.
To resize desktop icons,right-click the desktop, point to View, and then click Large Icons, Medium Icons, or Classic Icons. (Classic icons are the smallest size.)
TGIF ya'll! That will wrap things up for yet another week! If you're looking for more, check out our archive of past articles here. Keep sending me your favorite links, I love hearing from you! Do you have any comments or suggestions? Click Discuss this Article below to post your comment in the forums or send an email to email@example.com. I'll see you next week!
Stacy Reed is Tucows' resident software librarian and editor. She has been reviewing PC and mobile software as well as web services for over a decade. Helping developers improve and promote their products is only one of her areas of expertise. Stacy is also an advocate for Open Source, Creative Commons and freeware, taking special interest in educational resources, social media, cloud sharing, and mobile technology.