Stacy's Weekly Mashup: LinkedIn, Flock, Vast, AjaxAMP, TechJunction, Customize Icons in Vista...
|Published:||Mar 22, 2007|
|Software that can help||Good for||Cow Rating|
|AjaxAMP v3.0 is a Web 2.0 plugin for the excellent Winamp Media Player.|
Web 2.0 Sites:
- LinkedIn - Be more effective in your daily work and open doors to opportunities using the professional relationships you already have
- IMified - Instant to-do's, notes, reminders and access to the applications you use everyday without launching your browser
- Flock - A web browser that makes it easier to share media and connect to other people online
- FireAnt - A great way to discover, watch, and subscribe to Internet TV channels and podcasts
- co.mments - Bookmark posts you want to follow and this will track new comments for you, so you don't miss out
- Browster - Quickly see previews of the web pages returned in Google searches
- 2ReCall - Record your calls directly from any phone and store conversations online
- Dexly - Tracking new Web 2.0 technology
- Vast - Tracking 25 million classified listings across 70,000 sites
- Pingdom - Web site monitoring the easy way
Freeware Feature of the Week: AjaxAMP - Allows you to access Winamp over the network using a web browser and control it or stream music to or from it.
Wallpaper of the Week: Maelstrom2b
The Week in Geek News:
- NFL fumbles DMCA takedown battle, could face sanctions - Ars Technica
- Beware of Digital Don Juans - ABC News
- Apple TV goes on sale - TimesOnline
- MySpace Aims to 'Impact' Presidential Race - TechNewsWorld
- Google share gains quicken in U.S. search market - Washington Post
- Microsoft: Breached Xbox Live Accounts- Just Isolated Incidents - Playfuls
- Confirmed: TV Networks Launch New Company To Counter Perceived Google/YouTube Threat - TechCrunch
- Intel Capital invests $40 million in DTV chipmaker - Washington Post
- Cell Phone Saints - ABC News
- New batteries run on sugar, are susceptible to cavities - SCI FI Tech
Flickr Image of the Week: by Paris Steve
Top Blog Picks:
Article of the Week: Analysis: Why America Needs a Google Phone - PC Magazine
Art Site of the Week: Mr Picassohead
Video of the Week: Super Mario
Geek Tip: Show, hide or resize desktop icons in Windows Vista - This tip comes from Windows Help and How-To.
To show desktop icons, right-click the desktop, point to View, and then click Show Desktop Icons. A check mark will appear, indicating that desktop icons are displayed on your desktop.
To hide desktop icons, right-click the desktop, point to View, and then click Show Desktop Icons to clear the check mark.Note: Hiding all of the icons on your desktop doesn't delete them, it just hides them until you choose to show them again.
To resize desktop icons,right-click the desktop, point to View, and then click Large Icons, Medium Icons, or Classic Icons. (Classic icons are the smallest size.)
TGIF ya'll! That will wrap things up for yet another week! If you're looking for more, check out our archive of past articles here. Keep sending me your favorite links, I love hearing from you! Do you have any comments or suggestions? Click Discuss this Article below to post your comment in the forums or send an email to email@example.com. I'll see you next week!
Stacy Reed is Tucows' resident software librarian and editor. She has been reviewing PC and mobile software as well as web services for over a decade. Helping developers improve and promote their products is only one of her areas of expertise. Stacy is also an advocate for Open Source, Creative Commons and freeware, taking special interest in educational resources, social media, cloud sharing, and mobile technology.
In this episode, we'll be looking at setting up a Bluetooth accessory, we'll offer a few power-saving tips and we'll take a quick look at how copy and paste works on the Samsung Galaxy SII 4G. view it
In this episode, we'll be taking a look at some of the pre-installed apps on the Galaxy SII including the Android Market, Gmail, the browser and the camera. view it
In this episode, we'll be taking a look at some of the Android tweaks that Samsung has made with its TouchWiz interface. We'll also take a look at adding widgets and app shortcuts to our homescreens, including Samsung's own specialized apps and widgets. view it
In this episode, we're going to take a look getting the SII setup with our Google and other accounts so we can begin using it right away. view it
The Samsung Galaxy SII 4G, AKA the Samsung Galaxy Epic Touch 4G, is a top-tier smartphone. view it
In this episode, we’re going to offer a few battery saving tips so your phone will last the whole day and beyond plus we’ll take a look at how copy and paste works on the Photon 4G. view it
The Motorola Photon from Ting features App Shortcuts and Widgets from Android and Motorola. view it