Stacy's Weekly Mashup: GSpace, Socializr, GooSync, Barracuda Drive, Photoshop Tips...
|Published:||Apr 26, 2007|
Web 2.0 Sites:
- Flash Earth - Satellite and aerial imagery of the Earth in Flash
- GSpace - The FON friendly site that provides free online storage to access your files everywhere
- Socializr - Share event and party information with your friends
- NetHaggler - Never pay the list price again
- Userplane - Instant, customizable live community software for your site
- GooSync - Synchronize your Google Calendar with your mobile phone or PDA
- Mobilatory - Your free mobile content laboratory
- Wiredness - Online image manipulation tool with Flickr integration
- Hobbyworld United - A global online community for hobbyists
- Trailfire - A new way to discover what you're looking for on the internet
Freeware Feature of the Week: BarracudaDrive Free Home Server - Securely upload, download, and manage your files on your home computer from anywhere in the world. The home server bypasses firewalls and proxies with the communication protocol HTTPS. The communication is protected by using SSL, preventing eavesdropping on your file transfer.
Wallpaper of the Week: Daffodil Days
The Week in Geek News:
- Steve Jobs, saved by the rising stock - GigaOM
- MySpace Goes into the News Business - ABC news
- Virus Writers Taint Google Ad Links - Washington Post
- Yahoo Music adds lyrics - ITWire
- Potentially Habitable Planet Found - ABC News
- Hawking prepares for weightless 'bliss' - Guardian Unlimited
- Mineral with Kryptonite's Composition Found: 'Jadarite' - Playfuls
- Sony announces video chat add-on for PS3 - ZDNet
- Verizon, Sprint Offer `world' BlackBerry - ABC News
Flickr Image of the Week: by davepolaschek
Top Blog Picks:
Article of the Week: Researchers Break Internet Speed Records - Physorg.com
Art Site of the Week: Designboom
Video of the Week: Inventive Uses of Google Search
Geek Tip: Some quick Adobe Photoshop tricks that might come in handy from time to time...
- If you hold the CTRL key while you are cropping the image, the crop will automatically snap to the edge.
- Press CTRL+J to duplicate the current layer.
- If you want perfect straight 30 degree edges while using the Polygon lasso tool, press Shift.
- Use the number pad to change the opacity of a layer, gradient, stamp, or brush.
- Hold ALT and press L three times to quickly delete a layer.
Thanks for checking out the weekly mashup! You can find an archive of past articles here. Do you know of a great site that's worth sharing? Do you have any comments or suggestions? Click Discuss this Article below to post your comment in the forums or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Stacy Reed is Tucows' resident software librarian and editor. She has been reviewing PC and mobile software as well as web services for over a decade. Helping developers improve and promote their products is only one of her areas of expertise. Stacy is also an advocate for Open Source, Creative Commons and freeware, taking special interest in educational resources, social media, cloud sharing, and mobile technology.
In this episode, we'll be looking at setting up a Bluetooth accessory, we'll offer a few power-saving tips and we'll take a quick look at how copy and paste works on the Samsung Galaxy SII 4G. view it
In this episode, we'll be taking a look at some of the pre-installed apps on the Galaxy SII including the Android Market, Gmail, the browser and the camera. view it
In this episode, we'll be taking a look at some of the Android tweaks that Samsung has made with its TouchWiz interface. We'll also take a look at adding widgets and app shortcuts to our homescreens, including Samsung's own specialized apps and widgets. view it
In this episode, we're going to take a look getting the SII setup with our Google and other accounts so we can begin using it right away. view it
The Samsung Galaxy SII 4G, AKA the Samsung Galaxy Epic Touch 4G, is a top-tier smartphone. view it
In this episode, we’re going to offer a few battery saving tips so your phone will last the whole day and beyond plus we’ll take a look at how copy and paste works on the Photon 4G. view it
The Motorola Photon from Ting features App Shortcuts and Widgets from Android and Motorola. view it