Stacy's Weekly Mashup: Meetup, SkillsFeed, SwapTree, Koolwire, Tubes, Foobar...
|Published:||May 24, 2007|
Web 2.0 Sites:
- Meetup - Find others who share the same interest or cause, and form lasting, influential, local community groups that regularly meet face-to-face
- SkillsFeed - Create your own e-learning site and share knowledge with your friends, workmates and people around the world!
- TerraClues - An online puzzle game that makes use of the popular Google Maps technology
- YouTorials - Users submit video tutorials that teach skills to others
- myDataBus - Free online file storage, file share and more
- Swaptree - A place where you can freely trade books, music, dvds or video games that you own for thousands of items that you want
- Tubes - Instantly share photos, music, video and documents with everyone you know and have them share their stuff with you through the same tube
- Koolwire - A free file conversion service via e-mail
- Easy School Search - A browsable database of over 130,000 US public and private elementary and secondary schools with grades kindergarten through twelve
- Chesspark - An exciting new community for online chess
Freeware of the Week: Foobar2000 - An advanced audio player for the Windows platform that offers tabbed playlists, customizable keyboard shortcuts, and tagging capabilities. Foobar2000 supports these audio formats: MP1, MP2, MP3, MP4, MPC, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC / Ogg FLAC, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, AU, SND, CDDA, WMA.
Wallpaper of the Week: Pixelgirl Presents - Visual Scientific Integration
The Week in Geek News:
- The man who owns the Internet - CNNMoney
- Darth Vader's Psyche: What Went Wrong? - CBS News
- Latest Skype worm infects ICQ, MSN, and other IM services - Webware
- Microsoft, Novell defend partnership, promise details - Computerworld
- Google goes multi-lingual - Australian IT
- Intel Unveils World's Thinnest Laptop, Almost Skinny as a RAZR - Gizmodo
- Net taxes could arrive by this fall - CNET News
- Microsoft too busy to name Linux patents - The Register
- Dell plans to sell its PCs at Wal-Mart - MSNBC
- The 100 Best Products of 2007 - PC World
Flickr Image of the Week: byDeparture Lounge
Top Blog Picks:
Article of the Week: Ancestry.com Puts 90M War Records Online - Wired News
Art Site of the Week: One Thousand Paintings - One thousand numbers = one thousand paintings. All beautifully painted on canvas. Each number is unique - the number and the demand define the price. An experiment of art & mathematics, on the web, the first of its kind.
Video of the Week: Welcome to New Technology
Hey, thanks for stopping by and checking out another weekly mashup! You can find an archive of past articles here. If you know of a great site that's worth sharing, or if you have any comments or suggestions, I'd love to hear from you! Send an email to email@example.com with "Weekly Mashup" in the subject line. Have a great weekend! Hope to see you again next week!
Stacy Reed is Tucows' resident software librarian and editor. She has been reviewing PC and mobile software as well as web services for over a decade. Helping developers improve and promote their products is only one of her areas of expertise. Stacy is also an advocate for Open Source, Creative Commons and freeware, taking special interest in educational resources, social media, cloud sharing, and mobile technology.