Stacy's Weekly Mashup: Launchy, Scribd, Qipit, Chain Factor, Quintura Search Widget...
|Published:||Dec 20, 2007|
Web 2.0 Sites:
- Predictify - Tap into collective wisdom and make money by predicting future events
- TheFind - Search stores that accept PayPal!
- Jott - Create to-do lists and reminders, send email and text messages, blog your thoughts from anywhere, all with just your voice
- Scribd - Upload your documents or explore a growing library of presentations, newsletters, research, mauals, recipes, sheet music and much more
- Qipit - Copy and share documents with your camera phone or digital camera
Freeware Feature of the Week: Launchy - Launchy is a free windows utility designed to help you forget about your start menu, the icons on your desktop, and even your file manager. Launchy indexes the programs in your start menu and can launch your documents, project files, folders, and bookmarks with just a few keystrokes!
Wallpaper of the Week: Penguins from Backgrounds Archive
The Week in Geek News:
- TorrentSpy Loses To The MPAA... But For The Wrong Reasons - Techdirt
- Antivirus firm says detects Google text ad trojan - Reuters
- Microsoft, Viacom Sign $500 Million Deal - PC World
- 8 bold predictions on Google's next moves - Computerworld
- Worm Squirms Through Google's Orkut - PC Magazine
Flickr Image of the Week: by Toma01
Top Blog Picks:
Article of the Week: The 7 most annoying developments in software - Computerworld
NEW! Librarian Chick's Smart Site of the Week: Tech Cheat Sheets - Tech Cheat Sheets is a collection of the best cheat sheets and quick reference guides on the web. Arranged by tags, you can subscribe to a feed for only the tags you want to monitor. Visitors can also give the listings 1-5 star ratings.
Art Site of the Week:
visualcomplexity - A visual exploration on mapping complex networks
NEW! The Weekly Widget: Quintura Search Widget - Get a free fast search engine on your site, navigate intuitively through content by just clicking words in the cloud and forget about dull search boxes forever!
NEW! Free Game of the Week: Chain Factor - Use your mouse to drop discs into the grid. Whenever the number on a disc matches the size of the row or column that disc is in, it will disappear. See if you can clear the board, or just try to survive as long as possible before filling the grid.
Video of the Week:
Geek Weekly: This week's geek tip comes from Firefox Facts explaining how to easily set up a "temp" bookmark folder for those times that you would like to temporarily bookmark sites to come back to later.
1. Right-click on your bookmarks toolbar and create a �New Folder�.
2. Name that folder �Temp�
3. Next time you find yourself looking at something you want to give a little more time to at a later date and time, drag the favicon �or page icon� in the address bar to this new �temp� folder and get back to doing what you need to be doing.
Thanks for tuning in to another weekly mashup of links! This will be the last mashup post of the year 2007! I hope you enjoy the holiday season and I'm looking forward to seeing you back here after the first of the year! In the meantime, if you're looking for more articles like this, you can find an archive here. Do you know of a great site that's worth sharing? Do you have any comments or suggestions? I'd love to hear from you! Just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and say hello!
Stacy Reed is Tucows' resident software librarian and editor. She has been reviewing PC and mobile software as well as web services for over a decade. Helping developers improve and promote their products is only one of her areas of expertise. Stacy is also an advocate for Open Source, Creative Commons and freeware, taking special interest in educational resources, social media, cloud sharing, and mobile technology.