Stacy's Weekly Mashup: DekiWiki, Utterz, Wink, Apophysis, Frets On Fire...
|Published:||Jan 10, 2008|
Web 2.0 Sites:
- Invisible Me - Fast, secure, free, and anonymous web proxy
- DekiWiki - An easy to use and sophisticated wiki for authoring, aggregating, organizing, and sharing content
- Wink - A free people search engine that makes it easy to find and connect with people online
- Lootist - Discover the best products by hobby or interest with guidance from real-life specialists
- Utterz - Create rich media micro posts with text, audio, or video and have it automatically updated on your blog or web site account directly from your cell phone
Freeware Feature of the Week: Apophysis - A beautiful Open Source fractal flame exploration software
Wallpaper of the Week: Pushing Pixels
The Week in Geek News:
- Microsoft Patches Flaw That Could Trigger Worm Attack - PC World
- Open source entering the mobile computing space - InfoWorld
- Comcast could receive hefty FCC fine for throttling Bit Torrent traffic - Download Squad
- Amazon to sell Sony BMG songs free of copy curbs - Reuters
- Yahoo! launches new Yahoo! Go app and mobile portal - Geek.com
Flickr Image of the Week: By Bernie Led
Top Blog Picks:
Article of the Week: What's a Widget Worth? - BusinessWeek
NEW! Librarian Chick's Smart Site of the Week: TeacherTube - An online community for sharing instructional videos. Teachers can post videos designed for students to view in order to learn a concept or skill and teachers can teach other teachers.
Art Site of the Week:
Uber Art Galleries - Browse through virtual galleries by a variety of fresh artists over at Uber.com
NEW! The Weekly Widget: Me.dium Map Widget - The Me.dium Map Widget gives you a real-time view into all the Me.dium users on and around your site. You can customize your widget to see who is reading your blog, discover the activity around your favorite web site or even keep tabs on your MySpace or Facebook page. Just Join Me.dium to get started.
NEW! Free Game of the Week: Frets On Fire - Frets on Fire is a game of musical skill and fast fingers. The aim of the game is to play guitar with the keyboard as accurately as possible.
Video of the Week:
Interactive Sites for Students and Learners
Geek Weekly: This week's geek tip comes from Mozilla Links - How to Properly Restore Your Firefox 2 Windows: In your Firefox toolbar, go to Tools > Options and in the main page select Show my tabs and windows from last time in the When Firefox Starts field. Be careful though, if you close Firefox windows or tabs one by one (like clicking on the X button in the top right corner on Windows), when you restart, you will only get the very last window closed and its tabs restored, since it will be the only one in use when you actually exit Firefox. To have all windows and tabs restored, make sure you exit the program by going through the File menu in the toolbar. Note, this only works in Mozilla Firefox 2 (and hopefully future versions as well).
That wraps it up for this week, folks! I hope that your new year is off to a great start! If you enjoyed this article and you'd like to read more like it, visit the archive of past mashups here. If you know of a great site that's worth sharing or if you have any comments or suggestions, I'd love to hear from you! Just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and say hello!
Stacy Reed is Tucows' resident software librarian and editor. She has been reviewing PC and mobile software as well as web services for over a decade. Helping developers improve and promote their products is only one of her areas of expertise. Stacy is also an advocate for Open Source, Creative Commons and freeware, taking special interest in educational resources, social media, cloud sharing, and mobile technology.