Stacy's Mashup: Zlio, Utterz, Converber, LookWAYup, Lux...
|Published:||Jan 24, 2008|
Web 2.0 Sites:
- Loudio - A source of user generated audio of all kinds - original music, podcasts, personal audio creations and more
- VOIS - Social networking site lets members create their own digital identity to make friends, find romance, or do business
- Zlio - Set up your own online store, choose your products and earn commission on each sale
- Utterz - Use your mobile to post video, picture, and text mashups to your site
- cre8Buzz - Where everyone in the world has a chance to be seen, heard, and found
Freeware Feature of the Week: Converber - A unit converter that supports conversions between 1208 various units of measure in 32 categories. Converber converts everything from length and force to flow and temperature.
Wallpaper of the Week: Baby Harp Seal on the Arctic Ice
The Week in Geek News:
- Firefox leaks info that's useful to attackers - Computerworld
- AT&T may begin monitoring online traffic - MSNBC
- Dell and Microsoft Team Up on (Red) PCs - New York Times
- YouTube Update Offers Millions of Videos to Mobile Users - PC World
- Most malware comes from legit sites, says researcher - Computerworld
Flickr Image of the Week: by
Top Blog Picks:
- Collective Thoughts - Social Media Thinking
- Household Hacker
- How to Wake Up Early
- Digital Photography School
Article of the Week: MPAA Admits Mistake on Downloading Study - The Associated Press
Art Site of the Week: Understanding Art for Geeks
NEW! The Weekly Widget: WidgetBucks - Features pay-per-click shopping widgets that help you make money fast. They instantly display the most popular products based on buying trends of 100 million shoppers. Thus they are highly engaging, which means instant dollars!
NEW! Free Game of the Week: Lux from YoYo Games - See how many chain reactions you can cause in this fun, fast paced arcade game that will keep you glued to the edge of your seat!
Video of the Week:
Geek Weekly: This week's geek tip comes from Optimize Guides - You may or may not already know that there is a hidden Internet conference application called NetMeeting that comes packaged in Windows. To launch it go to Start > Run and type conf.
OG notes that Windows XP is the last version of Microsoft Windows to include NetMeeting. NetMeeting delivers a complete Internet conferencing solution for all Windows users with multi-point data conferencing, text chat, whiteboard, and file transfer, as well as point-to-point audio and video.
TGIF! Enjoy your weekend, folks! If you'd like to read more articles like this, you can find an archive of past mashups here. Keep the links coming, everyone! Do you know of a great site that's worth sharing? Do you have any comments or suggestions? I'd love to hear from you! Just drop me a line at email@example.com and say hello!
Stacy Reed is Tucows' resident software librarian and editor. She has been reviewing PC and mobile software as well as web services for over a decade. Helping developers improve and promote their products is only one of her areas of expertise. Stacy is also an advocate for Open Source, Creative Commons and freeware, taking special interest in educational resources, social media, cloud sharing, and mobile technology.