Stacy's Weekly Mashup: Revision3, mShopper, Phun, The Futon Critic, Fotogenika
|Published:||Mar 6, 2008|
Web 2.0 Sites:
- Orchestr8 - Explore and manipulate the look and feel of your favorite sites and share the content you discover
- Dot What!? - A huge database of file extension information, mainly the Microsoft Windows, Apple Macintosh and Linux operating systems
- Revision3 - An actual TV network for the web, creating and producing its own original, broadcast quality shows
- PriceProtector - Keep track of your purchases and get your money back if the price drops
- mShopper - Use your cell phone to find the lowest online prices for any in-store item, in seconds
Freeware Feature of the Week: Phun - A free 2D physics sandbox that makes learning fun.
Wallpaper of the Week: Hanging On
The Week in Geek News:
- Ask.com looks to refocus after job cuts, strategy shift - BetaNews
- Yahoo buys time with Microsoft by board move - Reuters
- Internet Explorer 8 Has Arrived - ReadWriteWeb
- Sony "in talks" with Microsoft about a Xbox 360 Blu-ray drive - Engadget
- Yahoo Maps Get More Local - TechCrunch
Flickr Image of the Week: by f.svehla
Top Blog Picks:
- The Word Detective
- William Kamkwamba's Malawi Windmill Blog
- Geek Parenting
- Blog on Wiki Patterns
- The Futon Critic
Article of the Week: What piracy crisis? MPAA touts record box office for 2007 - Ars Technica
Art Site of the Week:
Fotogenikia - A collection of user submitted images may be used freely for personal, educational and non-profit projects
NEW! The Weekly Widget: Daily Painters Widget - You can now have a rotating display of daily paintings on your blog or website by installing this widget.
NEW! Free Game of the Week: The Great Mahjong - Enjoy the classic game of Mahjong online for free, or time yourself and see how quickly you can match all of the tiles.
Video of the Week:
Office Space Wars
Geek Tip Weekly: This week's geek tip comes from Online Tech Tips, where you can find a detailed guide on how you can track email to it's originating location by figuring out the email's IP address and looking it up.
Stacy Reed is Tucows' resident software librarian and editor. She has been reviewing PC and mobile software as well as web services for over a decade. Helping developers improve and promote their products is only one of her areas of expertise. Stacy is also an advocate for Open Source, Creative Commons and freeware, taking special interest in educational resources, social media, cloud sharing, and mobile technology.