Stacy's Weekly Mashup: SwitchPlanet, Mosio, nuTsie, Firebug, FEEDJIT
|Published:||Mar 20, 2008|
Web 2.0 Sites:
- Bookr - Create books out of your Flickr photos and images
- SwitchPlanet - Trade your DVDs, CDs, Video Games and Books for free
- Sketchplanet - An online user-driven sketching community
- Mosio - A free mobile community enabling you to text any question from your phone and have it answered by real people
- nuTsie - An online music community that offers access to your music through any web-connected PC and many mobile phones
Wallpaper of the Week: Gijsco's Last.fm Desktop Generator is a program for Last.fm users. It downloads your personal data, and generates a beautiful desktop wallpaper.
The Week in Geek News:
- FCC Finally Admits Its Broadband Penetration Numbers Are 'Stunningly Meaningless' - Techdirt
- Unlimited Tunes from Apple? Not So Fast - BusinessWeek
- Spam doesn't pay: man faces 26 year sentence for spamming - Ars Technica
- Red Hat Security Framework Goes Open Source - Yahoo! News
- SanDisk to distribute DRM-free music on flash card - Geek.com
Flickr Image of the Week: by boiani
Top Blog Picks:
Article of the Week: Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008) - BetaNews
Librarian Chick's Smart Site of the Week: WordSpy - Devoted to lexpionage, the sleuthing of new words and phrases. These aren't "stunt words" or "sniglets," but new terms that have appeared multiple times in newspapers, magazines, books, Web sites, and other recorded sources.
Art Site of the Week:
SketchCast - Record a sketch with or without voice and share with others online
The Weekly Widget: FEEDJIT - Real-time blog traffic feeds that allow bloggers and webmasters to show off their live traffic and guide visitors to the best content
Free Game of the Week: Frozzd - Jump from planet to planet as you guide the Mubbly creatures, and use them as an army to defeat the Frozzd.
Video of the Week:
Set up a Google analytics account
Geek Weekly: This week's geek tip comes from Wired How-To Wiki - An article that explains how you can store backups of your Gmail account on your local machine.
Stacy Reed is Tucows' resident software librarian and editor. She has been reviewing PC and mobile software as well as web services for over a decade. Helping developers improve and promote their products is only one of her areas of expertise. Stacy is also an advocate for Open Source, Creative Commons and freeware, taking special interest in educational resources, social media, cloud sharing, and mobile technology.