Stacy's Weekly Mashup: Gigablast, Open Site, Orgoo, UltraFractal, Wizlite...
|Published:||Jun 5, 2008|
Web 2.0 Sites:
- Open Site - Edited by volunteers, its content is freely available for everyone under the GNU Free Documentation License
- Gigablast - High-quality, relevant search results. Period.
- BBS Crawler Search Network - An alliance of Non-Profits who simply seek to make the web a better tool, using technology you're already familar with
- whos.among.us - Want to know who's on your site and where they came from, in real time?
- Orgoo - All your email accounts, all your IM accounts, video chat, video mail, SMS and more, working together
Freeware Feature of the Week: Phantasmagoria - A fun, light-weight image editing application
Shareware Feature of the Week: UltraFractal - Create your own fractals, change the colors, add layers, use masks, and create animations
Wallpaper of the Week: Robot Rock by Kon
The Week in Geek News:
- Adobe adds video, multimedia in Acrobat update - Mercury News
- Apple, Microsoft Feud Over Safari, Internet Explorer Flaws - NewsFactor
- Jack Thompson Walks Out on Hearing - Console Patrol
- Microsoft Plans to 'fix' Its Online Branding - PC World
- Mozilla says Firefox 3.0 bug-free, launches RC2 - Computerworld
Flickr Image of the Week: by C Mariani
Top Blog Picks:
- Tech Observer
- Hand Me Down Recipes
- Grow Your Wiki
- What I See Out My Window
- Found Cameras and Orphaned Photos
Article of the Week: Why BitTorrent causes so much latency and how to fix it - Technology for Mortals
Art Site of the Week:
The Weekly Widget: Cellblock - Enables instant multimedia publishing across websites, desktops and mobile devices (i.e., your cell phone)
Free Game of the Week: Slither - Link dots to form lines around the squares to complete a single loop. The numbered squares tell you how many lines must surround them.
Video of the Week:
Big Buck Bunny
Geek Weekly: Love Firefox? You need to check out Learn Firefox, a complete site that offers visual guides to help you learn how to use, tweak, enhance and optimize Firefox to best suit your needs.
Stacy Reed is Tucows' resident software librarian and editor. She has been reviewing PC and mobile software as well as web services for over a decade. Helping developers improve and promote their products is only one of her areas of expertise. Stacy is also an advocate for Open Source, Creative Commons and freeware, taking special interest in educational resources, social media, cloud sharing, and mobile technology.