As a company that powers the services of many large web hosting and ISPs, we are acutely aware of how competitive these areas can be. In fact, one of the most frequently asked questions I receive from our customers is, ‚Äúhow do I make my company stand out?‚Äù Historically, the answer has largely been price, service and marketing. While these factors will always be important, I‚Äôm extremely excited to introduce a new service that will give Tucows resellers another competitive edge.
It‚Äôs our Personal Names Service and it’s all about giving people the chance to own their own name.
In 2006, we purchased a Colorado-based company named NetIdentity, which has an extremely successful service offering email and web addresses based on some of the most popular surnames in the world. These names include Smith, Johnson, Brown, Chavez and nearly 40,000 other names. All told, about 66 percent of the population of the United States will find a match for their name in the portfolio.
Today, I‚Äôm extremely excited to introduce a wholesale version based on this model, which we‚Äôre calling our Personal Names Service. This service lets our resellers offer email and web addresses based on our extensive portfolio of surnames. Each name purchased includes:
- An email account, powered by the Tucows Email Service, which includes our easy-to-use AJAX webmail, forwarding and anti-spam/anti-virus.
- A-Record and CNAME control, allowing users to host these domains wherever they like.
- Management for both email and DNS within OpenSRS, our domain name management platform.
Our Resellers are free to offer this service as an extension of their existing offerings, or even introduce a completely new ‚Äúidentity‚Äù-based service. I‚Äôd strongly encourage our resellers to look seriously at offering this service for a number of reasons:
- It gels well with the existing offerings.
- It‚Äôs available to Tucows Resellers only, giving them an advantage over many of their competitors.
- With close to 40,000 popular surnames in our database, the majority of their customer’s names will be available.
- It taps into the very real desire for high-quality domain names as consumers seek to secure a personal digital identity.
- It‚Äôs extremely affordable.
This is a great opportunity to get on board with a trend that will gain huge popularity in 2008. If you‚Äôre a Tucows reseller, be sure to check out the service. And if you‚Äôre not a Tucows reseller, sign up today!