Construction Project Manager - Ting Internet
In December 2015, technology blog Gizmodo listed Ting (a small Internet company operating out of an old warehouse in Liberty Village) as one of “The 6 Best Things That Happened to the Internet This Year” in the United States. What the what?!?
Ting shook up the mobile industry in 2012, offering fair pricing, usable interfaces and shockingly non-phone-company-like customer support. By 2016, we had over 200,000 subscribers, 150 dedicated employees in multiple locations and over 50 million dollars (US!) in annual revenue. We were also the highest rated US cellphone service in Consumer Reports. Ting is part of Tucows (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC), a $200 million public company founded in 1994.
Now we are investing millions in fiber networks and partnering with small towns to change what Americans expect from their Internet service and their Internet service provider. (Oh, related point, Americans hate their cable companies even more than their cellphone providers.) We have already launched Gigabit-speed Internet service in Charlottesville, Virginia, Westminster, Maryland and Holly Springs, North Carolina. People there are loving the speed and the customer support, and they are telling their friends.
As we move into additional markets (and as our existing ones grow), we are looking for a Project Manager in our Networks group. The Networks team is responsible for finding new markets, setting them up, and contributing heavily to running them. We need someone who excels in a fast-paced environment with lots of diverse, competing priorities — and can handle a dash of ambiguity to boot. If this sounds like you — read on!
- Managing construction projects in multiple cities/towns: We have construction projects underway in multiple cities. You’ll be in charge of ensuring those projects are on time and on budget. This will involve working closely with other members of the Networks team, operations, our vendor management team, support, marketing, product management and external suppliers to make sure everything is moving according to plan, and helping us solve issues when it isn’t. You will be in the eye of the storm.
- Assisting various construction related elements as necessary: From permits to inventory, there are a lots of areas inside each build that need tracking and process help. We need your skills to help us establish process and systems as necessary to be successful.
- Working cross-functionally inside the organization to help set up new markets: It takes a lot of work from multiple teams to get a new market online. You’ll assist in everything from the sourcing and setup of property, purchasing vehicles/equipment, to helping with new employee onboarding, and more.
- Acting as the market expert inside the building to help other departments devise strategies and resolve problems: You’ll be a key representative of the Networks department, acting as a business expert in helping a resolve a wide variety of day-to-day tasks and issues as they arise. You’ll need to build the relationships necessary to make sure the various departments you work with can turn to you for the right information and decisions.
If you think of yourself as an excellent project manager with a desire to do more than manage one-off projects, this job is for you!
- Bachelor's Degree in Business or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of five years of project management experience in construction, utilities or telecom.
- Strong program management skills: you will be expected to coordinate and schedule multiple long-term projects at the same time.
- Experience managing cross-functional teams and vendors in projects, including resource planning, scheduling, progress tracking and reporting, and comfort with raising issues and escalating them to senior management if necessary.
- Comfort working in a “start-up” environment within a larger organization - you will be jumping into a new, upstart business. If you’re used to and only thrive in a structured, rigorous environment, this gig isn’t for you.
- Strong data, metrics and analysis skills.
- Strong customer focus and empathy.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to converse at both a technical and business level.
- Experience in telecom/Fiber to the Premises is definitely a plus.
- Ability to occasionally travel to the U.S. will be required.
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC), a $200 million public company founded in 1994. We have an outstanding supporting cast to service these opportunities and deliver on promises – network builders and operators, product management, marketing and award-winning customer support.