You can use Cruciverbalist for the following:
- To solve Cruciverbalist puzzles, and puzzles published on the Internet by The New York Times, USA Today, and others
- To generate custom layouts for puzzles you solve or those you create
- To show you possible words from its extensive word list
- To add and delete words in your own word lists; solve traditionally published puzzles and, by viewing possible words from word lists, improve your solving skills
- To create newspaper quality crosswords of your own.
The free version has limitations, but contains enough options to help you decide if you want to get the shareware version.