Puppy Linux 5.1.1
Puppy Linux 4.3 is based on the Linux 184.108.40.206 kernel, configured to support SMP multi-processing systems, as well as uni-processor desktops.
The new kernel, which is only one step behind the latest Linux 2.6.31. The Puppy version supports the ext4 filesystem and is patched to support the Aufs2 file system.
- Desktop -- The Puppy desktop adds enhanced icons and a new blue-tinted GTK theme.
- CPU Scaling Ondemand -- This new graphical tool enables control of processor frequency, useful for cooling overheated systems or increasing battery life on a laptop.
- Bcrypt GUI -- This "nifty graphical utility that lets you easily encrypt files and documents," writes Popov.
- BootFlash -- This tool is said to provide a "more straightforward way" of creating a bootable USB key.
- PuppyBrowser -- An alternative to the SeaMonkey browser suite, Puppy Linux now offers its own PuppyBrowser lightweight browser based on SeaMonkey's gtkmozembed library. PuppyBrowser is said to be designed for viewing local HTML help, as well as accessing the CUPS printer server, PPLOG blog engine, and the QUISP CGI software for generating dynamic Web pages.
- Viewnior -- Replacing Fotoxx, the lightweight Viewnior viewer supports basic editing operations such as rotate, flip, and crop.
- Aqualung -- This new music player supports MP3, WAV, FLAC, and Ogg Vorbis, and helps manage podcast subscriptions, and play and rip CDs.
The word root as it relates to computers can be confusing. Doc explains. view it
Ubuntu is a totally free operating system that's loaded with features view it
We define the term open source and give you some examples view it
We've been hearing a lot about Android, the mobile OS... but what is Android? view it
Drive letters are found in Windows and there are a few things you should know view it