The New Library of Alexandria, the New Bibliotheca Alexandrina is dedicated to recapture the spirit of openness and scholarship of the original Bibliotheca Alexandrina.
It is much more than a library. It contains:
- A Library that can hold millions of books.
- An Internet Archive
- Six specialized libraries for Arts, multimedia and audio-visual materials, the visually impaired, children, the young, microforms, and rare books and special collections
- Nobel collection
- Four Museums for Antiquities, Manuscripts, Sadat and the History of Science
- A Planetarium
- An Exploratorium for childrens exposure to science (ALEXploratorium)
- Culturama: a cultural panorama over nine screens, the first ever patented 9-projector interactive system.
- VISTA (The Virtual Immersive Science and Technology Applications system) is an interactive Virtual Reality environment, allowing researchers to transform two-dimensional data sets into 3-D simulations, and to step inside them.
- Eight academic research centers: Alexandria and Mediterranean Research Center (Alex-Med), Arts Center, Calligraphy Center, Center for Special Studies and Programs (CSSP), International School of Information Studies (ISIS), Manuscript Center, Center for the Documentation of Cultural and Natural Heritage (CultNat, located in Cairo), and Alexandria Center for Hellenistic Studies.
- Fifteen permanent exhibitions covering Impressions of Alexandria
- Four art galleries for temporary exhibitions
- A Conference Center for thousands of persons
- ...and much more!