Outsourced email service generates new revenues, cuts costs for Internet service providers worldwide
TORONTO, CANADA, February 10, 2003 — Tucows Inc. (OTCBB:TCOW), a leading provider of outsourced Internet services to Internet service providers (ISPs) and web hosting companies worldwide, today announced the general availability of its outsourced email service. Tucows’ global network of more than 5,000 resellers can now extend the value of their domain name services by integrating email into their current product offerings without having to incur the significant risks and upfront expenses of building and maintaining their own email systems. Tucows’ Email leaves resellers free to focus on their core business activities while Tucows maintains and operates their backend email infrastructure.
“Email customers are becoming increasingly demanding,” said Elliot Noss, president and chief executive officer, Tucows Inc. “In the past, they have been satisfied with simple POP email but now customers’ needs are changing, significantly increasing the degree of complexity and costs for service providers to build and operate email systems in-house. By outsourcing their email requirements to Tucows, our resellers are free to focus on their own businesses — acquiring and retaining customers — and can increase revenues by selling value-added services. Email, once a cost center, is now a revenue opportunity.”
“Our customers’ evolving needs dictated that we provide a comprehensive email solution. By outsourcing our email to Tucows we are able to provide our customers with email management and administration tools; enabling us to turn an operational expense into a revenue stream and decrease our time-to-market,” said Michael Folmer, president, Interlink Network Group. “By leveraging Tucows’ platform we are able to expand our product offering with a reliable service that our customers can depend on. It definitely gives us a competitive advantage in this challenging marketplace.”
By outsourcing the backend of their email service to Tucows, resellers are able to leverage Tucows’ economies of scale and extensive experience operating large-scale shared systems. A natural extension of Tucows’ domain name registration services, Tucows Email offers resellers an outsourced, competitive, brandable solution that provides multiple access methods (POP, WebMail and IMAP), virus protection, comprehensive management and administration tools, plus additional value-added services.
The benefits of using Tucows Email include:
* Access to new markets – Tucows Email allows resellers to enter new markets quickly and easily. There are no delays for in-house design and development.
* Cost savings – Tucows Email is a pay-per-use service. Resellers pay only for the email services they sell. All upfront capital investment and ongoing operational expenses are covered by Tucows.
* Reliability – The fully redundant email environment is housed in a world-leading data center and is designed with virtually all single points of failure eliminated so resellers are assured their customers will be able to access their mailboxes at any time.
* Support – Tucows offers reseller support services to troubleshoot email problems. Also incorporated into the service architecture are key end-user support options including: self-managements tools, a private label support web site and a designated in-house email administrator. These tools are designed to significantly decrease end-user support costs.
* Control – Tucows resellers maintain control over their business relationships with their customers including branding, pricing, and selling email as a stand-alone service or bundled with domain names or other value-added products.
For more information about Tucows Email, visit: http://resellers.tucows.com/opensrs/e-mail/
Tucows Inc. is a leading provider of outsourced Internet services to ISPs and web hosting companies worldwide. An ICANN-accredited registrar, Tucows provides outsourced domain name registrations for generic and country code top-level domains (TLDs), plus digital certificates and email services. Tucows also distributes software and other digital content through its integrated network of affiliates and offers more than 30,000 software titles in libraries located around the world. For more information, please visit: http://www.tucows.com
This news release contains, in addition to historical information, forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. These forward-looking statements include statements regarding the introduction of new products and services and their success. Such statements are based on management’s current expectations and are subject to a number of uncertainties and risks that could cause actual results to differ materially from those described in the forward-looking statements. More information about potential factors that could affect Tucows is included in the Risk Factors sections of Tucows’ filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. All forward-looking statements included in this document are based on information available to Tucows as of the date of this document, and Tucows assumes no obligation to update such forward-looking statements.
TUCOWS is a registered trademark of Tucows Inc. or its subsidiaries. All other trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners.