Major Overhaul Puts Finding Solutions, Community and Search Front and Center
- The site has been redesigned to enhance overall user experience making it easier to find information about how to do things, software and services to help them do it, and community information to help them make decisions.
- Since 1993 Tucows.com has been a popular directory of shareware, freeware, and demo software packages available to download.
- Solutions to common problems are front-and-center on the homepage and profiled throughout the site.
- New and enhanced community tools include user ratings (thumb’s up/thumb’s down), rankings for Solutions (on the Tucows 5-cow rating system), and user comments on Software and Solutions. Users will also be able to prepare and submit their own Solutions.
- The Tucows software directory includes over 40,000 listings and has been improved and streamlined. Categories are: Audio and Video, Business, Design Tools, Desktop Enhancements, Development and Web Authoring, Games, Home and Education, IS/IT, and Internet. These categories are sorted into PC, Mac, Linux, Web and PDA platforms.
- Tucows has content distribution arrangements with AOL, Microsoft’s Window’s Marketplace and others.
- Since its inception, Tucows has been committed to providing a quality experience for Internet users, each title in the Tucows software directory is checked for spyware, malware and viruses.
- Software developers have new opportunities to advertise and sponsor placements on the site to maximize their opportunities to reach the Tucows global user base. Tucows continues to support software authors of all sizes with its self-service author resource center. http://author.tucows.com
Visit our purpose-built del.icio.us page with hyperlinks and annotations to relevant content sources:
Elliot Noss, President and CEO, Tucows Inc.:
“Tucows has always been about helping people use the Internet better. Broadening our focus from software downloads to Internet solutions will keep true to that spirit and by providing access to resources and the invaluable input of other users in the community we will help people make better decisions in a complex environment.”
“Over the thirteen year history of the site, we’ve responded to a number of changes in the way people use the Internet. By incorporating more community, search and social features in redesigning the site we’re confident that we’ve made the site more useful for everyone.”
Greg Weir, Director, Content Services, Tucows:
“This redesign reflects changes in how people search for answers online. We’ve optimized the site to deliver a high-quality experience for users typing a common challenge, for example “How do I remove spyware?” into a Search Engine.”
“We’ve completely overhauled our extensive editorial content. By providing Solutions to challenges and encouraging the community to contribute comments, rankings, reviews and their own Solutions, we‚Äôre creating a tremendous resource to help people get things done on the Internet and with technology.”
Tucows Inc. is the largest Internet services provider for hosting companies and ISPs. Through our network of over 7,000 service providers around the world we provide millions of email boxes and manage over seven million domains. Tucows is an accredited registrar with ICANN (the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers). Tucows remains one of the most popular software download sites on the Internet. For more information please visit: http://tucowsinc.com.