Data Center Technician
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we’re the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world with tens of millions of domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We’re doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting Mobile) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We’re a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
The Data Center Technician is an implementation agent as well as a server, switch, and building maintenance technician. You will have to operate in tight spaces to run cables, improve physical security, shipping and receiving, complete inventory management of your locations. This is a regional position and travel within your assigned region will be required. You will partner with key process leaders in the business to improve completion of rolling out our expansive fiber network across the country.
The role includes:
- Responsible for regional data center operations. This includes access control, documentation, shipping and receiving, rack and stack, troubleshooting, cabling, equipment repair, and preventative maintenance.
- Operating in parallel with our Field Operations Team, Network Engineering Team, Systems Engineering Team, Vendors, and Operating Staff to deliver preeminent and steadfast products to our customers.
- Install and arrange new equipment for data centers. This may include physically upgrading internal system components (CPU), memory, hard drives, fiber cables, power cables, CAT6, and more. Once installed collaboration with the accurate engineering team to ensure cyber security and network efficiency.
- Supervising and maintaining operation of all network processes is the primary duty of all data technicians. Evaluating environmental (room) temperature levels for efficient performance of equipment.
- Provide hands on support as needed for engineering staff.
- Build and lead a list of critical spare parts.
- Build and lead a list of spare fiber and CAT6 cables, power cables, serial cables, etc.
- Maintain clean and proper installation of equipment across your region.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Hardware repair – Understanding of hardware repair for servers, networking gear, testing equipment, etc.
- Networking – Understanding of network topology from servers, switches, routers, monitors, and other equipment. Previous experience in telecommunications a plus.
- Solving problems skills – Performing tests to identify and fix errors in computer networks including LAN and WAN is a key component.
- Physical requirements – Ability to work on your feet most of the day, regularly crawl, crouch, kneel, and lift equipment up to 60lbs into racks as the use of a server lift is not always available.
- Inventory management – Maintain accurate inventory of tools, equipment, networking devices, critical spare parts, cables, etc.
- Interpersonal skills – Being able to explain complicated technical processes in a simple to understand way to non-technical staff.
- Basic Generator & UPS Maintenance - ownership of the log of maintenance of all generators as well as UPS units owned by our company.
- Ability to calculate rack power load and balance of said load between redundant power distribution units to ensure site reliability.
- Technical writing skills – Develop standard operating procedures and manuals for environments you are in charge of.
- On-Call – respond to emergency calls 24 hours a day, when on-call.
- Multi-task – prioritize and multi-task requests in order of importance and efficiency.
- Access control – Understanding access control and physical security of the data center.
- Driving to all locations within your region. Must have a clean driving record.
- Growth attitude – Must be driven to grow and succeed expertly. Including being self-managed and self-motivated.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Industry and vendor specific certifications and training
- 5+ years Data Center Infrastructure experience
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.