Fiber Installation Technician
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we’re the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world with tens of millions of domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We’re doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting Mobile) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We’re a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
About the opportunity:
This position is responsible for performing daily scheduled installations and service calls to deliver our services to residential and commercial customers. This process includes installing and splicing fiber, activating services, educating customers, and troubleshooting when necessary.
What you'll be doing:
- Always considering Safety First when working and driving
- Working with customers daily
- Driving company vehicle
- Assessing different installation scenarios, and effectively figuring out required time, approach and equipment
- Installing cable required to connect customers to fiber optic Internet service
- Splicing fiber optic on premises
- Completing fiber optic installation for residential customers
Working indoors and outdoors during the installation process
- Working with hand tools and test sets to complete the installation process
- Working from ladders
- Collaborating closely with OSP Technicians for any fiber restoration efforts
- Ensuring all required materials for installation and maintenance are accurately checked out from Inventory
- Participating in local marketing events as needed
- Conducting site surveys as required
- Attending meetings as required
- Participating in on-call rotation
- All other duties assigned by manager
- Telecom or data wiring experience preferred, we will provide on the job training. No fiber optic experience is necessary
- Strong communication skills: the ability to effectively communicate in real-time with multiple team members and business partners is required
- Ability to identify and remedy service affecting problems
- Ability to work outdoors, and comfort working with hand tools, ladders, and test equipment
**Data cabling experience preferred
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.