Engineering Manager - Web
Ting, a division of Tucows, offers cell phone service all across the US and fiber Internet in select towns and cities. We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to lead Ting Web Experience team, that is focused on building and maintaining multiple Ting websites. Speaking of the team, it’s a bunch of smart, ambitious and motivated developers. Given that you share these qualities, you’ll fit right in. In addition to that we need you to help us grow the team, to deal with the exciting.
We work in real-time on live systems… so it requires a steady hand and a cool head. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong (we’re optimists… but we’re also realists) and that needs to be accounted for.
Here’s what you can expect your work experience to look like:
In the first 30 days:
- Gain deep understanding of our platform
- Get to know team members reporting to you
- Implement small stories and fix bugs
- Ensure quality through writing automated tests
In the first 3 months:
- Contribute to technical design and architecture discussions
- Coach and help develop team members in their career progression
- Ensure that development standards and processes are adhered to
- Collaborate with other teams and stakeholder to drive projects forward
- Design a hiring plan and of course start hiring!
- Work closely with product managers to make sure there is alignment between the two teams
In the first year:
- Set long term goals and drive the team towards achieving those goals
- Own projects from conception to release
- Work with product owners to balance roadmap with engineering priorities
- Work with team leads to translate overarching business strategy and platform design into engineering tasks
Key skills and experience:
- 6+ years professional experience in a software engineering environment
- Experience managing a team in an agile environment
- Experience with Continuous Integration concepts and tools
- Experience in building scalable websites using modern JS frameworks such as React.js , Vue.js.
- Experience with building multiple websites that share components
- Experience delivering highly available and reliable systems
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
Nice to have skills and experience:
- Experience with A/B testing and CMS tools.
- Knowledge of the wireless telecommunication business
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches, and diverse points of view that drive us forward every day.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.