Outside Plant Field Engineer
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we’re the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world with tens of millions of domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We’re doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting Mobile) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We’re a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
The OSP Engineer performs detailed outside plant facility engineering tasks that include analyzing, estimating, planning, designing, budgeting and tracking estimates. The OSP Engineer will work closely with multi-functional teams to develop job budgets and economic feasibility studies. This position is responsible for preparing and interpreting engineering plans, drawings and reports; planning and designing field mounted electronic locations for serving area. The OSP Engineer also performs pole, conduit and buried facility design measurements utilizing company and industry OSP design guidelines and standards. The position will work closely with the Fiber Design team to provide accurate electronic mapping data for the region.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Perform pre-construction fiber designs to determine most efficient fiber routes for customer laterals and backbone.
- Maintain good relations with local utilities, vendors, contractors and government agencies.
- Initiates OSP work orders for construction.
- Perform data collection tasks to secure State, County, City and other special permits in conjunction with the company’s permitting team.
- Develop accurate Statement of Work (SOW) splice packages, to include cost estimates and Fiber routes in conjunction with the Design team (primarily in CAD, GIS or Google Earth formats)
- Work with mapping technicians to provide/build/update special maps for OSP, sales, and management.
- Prepares conduit drawings for the Ting Internet Design team, power companies and developers.
- Assists in preparation of the annual engineering budget.
- Coordinate customer contacts, negotiation of land acquisitions for easements and land purchases for field mounted equipment.
- Perform oversight on fiber optic testing in relation to accepting newly installed fiber plant or trouble repairs
- Perform Post construction Quality Assurance of contractors work to ensure work is met to Standard Telecommunication Construction Standards and has met the Scope of Work requirements.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by manager to ensure effective operation of the department.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Prior experience as OSP Design Engineer or 5+ years OSP experience in fiber construction and maintenance.
- Must demonstrate understanding of access networks on various fiber architectures.
- Experience with fiber to the home (FTTH) networks is preferred.
- Solid knowledge in OSP construction methods and practices as set by RUS, Telecordia, and BICSI.
- Strong interpersonal skills required.
- Great customer service skills required.
- Displays leadership skills required.
- Proven understanding of Google Suites and Google Earth Software.
- Ability to work in all climates.
- Ability to walk long distances over varying terrain.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.