Director of Engineering - Remote
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we’re the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world with tens of millions of domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We’re doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting Mobile) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We’re a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
As the second-largest domain registrar worldwide Tucwos operates multiple platforms for domain owners and resellers: OpenSRS, Enom, Ascio, Epag and Hover. The domains platforms are built using a wide array of technologies and have a lot of common functionality. We are looking for an experienced technology leader to guide the team in building our next generation domains platform to serve customers across all brands. The ideal candidate can balance the need to maintain and operate existing legacy systems with building new shared services and can transition the organization into embracing new technologies and processes.
What you’ll be doing:
In the first 30 days:
- Gain deep understanding of our platforms and learn about the industry
- Assess the maturity of our engineering organization and identify areas of improvement
In the first 3 months:
- Work with the product team to balance the roadmap with engineering priorities
- Oversee the delivery of critical projects and manage estimation, communication and risk
- Support the business in resolving customer issues
- Participate in technical design and architecture discussions and make sure your teams are empowered to make the right decisions
In the first year:
- Set short and long term objectives and guide your teams in executing against the roadmap.
- Drive the adoption of best practices, standards and processes
- Coach managers and develop a strong leadership team
Key skills and experience:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent work experience
- Deep understanding of software development practices, design and architecture to evaluate complex technical issues and risks.
- Experience recruiting, hiring and building tech teams.
- Track record coaching and mentoring engineering managers and individual contributors.
- Experience with Continuous Integration & Delivery concepts and tools
- Experience delivering highly available and reliable systems
- Notable experience working in a hands-on technical role earlier in your career
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Nice to have skills and experience:
- Experience managing platforms with widely divergent tech stacks.
- Experience running remote and distributed teams.
- Experience leading Dev, DevOps & Operations teams.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches, and diverse points of view that drive us forward every day.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.