Software Developer - Remote
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we're the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world with tens of millions of domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We're doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting Mobile) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We're a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
You will make heavy use of your experience and abilities in design, development, implementation, support, and troubleshooting for our 24/7 highly-available, highly-reliable client/server product.
Right not we are looking to hire a Software Developer on Hosted Email line of the business.
- Strong interpersonal skills, both verbal and written, are crucial in this team based role that includes remote members.
- You have notable experience developing Linux based software and are adept at using languages like Perl and Python to implement features and automated tests. You understand core Internet infrastructure and are comfortable working at scale on dozens of interdependent components across multiple environments.
- In addition to the above, you are nimble and able to remain effective when priorities shift. You can sense a weakness in a system from a mile away and you have no trouble putting yourself in the customer's shoes to find ways to improve their experience.
KEY POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES:
- 60% design, development, and maintenance of highly scalable, highly reliable, highly available backend applications
- 20% automated unit testing and integration testing
- 10% production support activities including problem solving
- 10% additional responsibilities as required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- 2+ years of experience doing client/server side application development on Unix/Linux platform or LAMP stack, ideally in Perl
- Strong Knowledge of Perl, Python, or related language
- Knowledge of popular design/development patterns
- Familiarity with using version control systems, ideally Git
- Some experience with Continuous Integration concepts and tools
- Some knowledge of how the Internet's core protocols work: TCP/IP, DNS, HTTP
- Knowledge of Internet messaging protocols and methodologies is helpful: SMTP, IMAP, POP3, Spam/Virus Scanning
- The following skills would be an asset: Bash, JSON, Debian, SQL
- College or University degree in a related field is an asset but not a requirement
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.