Software Engineering Manager - Remote
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we’re the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world with tens of millions of domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We’re doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting Mobile) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We’re a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
Even though we’re a pretty large company, we strive to limit bureaucracy and get good ideas off the ground quickly. We believe anyone, at any level in the organization, can bring forward ideas, initiatives and creative input.
That’s where you come in. As Software Team Lead/Manager, you’ll seed innovation and creativity in a dynamic, fast-paced successful and yet stable company.
We are looking for an experienced hands-on engineering manager for development efforts on our core domains platform OpenSRS. We are seeking to hire a keen and self-motivated individual who loves the Internet, and loves learning and applying new technologies to sophisticated problems.
You will make heavy use of your experience and abilities in design, development, implementation and support for our 24/7 highly-available, highly-reliable client/server product.
You have notable experience developing Linux based software and are good at using languages like Perl and Python to implement features and automated tests. You understand core Internet infrastructure such as TCP/IP, DNS, and HTTP. You're comfortable navigating large codebases, and working at scale on dozens of interdependent components across multiple environments.
In addition to the above, you are forward-thinking and able to remain effective when priorities shift. You’re comfortable working on legacy systems as well as building completely new services.
What you’ll be doing:
In the first 30 days:
- Gain deep understanding of our platform and learn about the industry
- Implement small stories and fix bugs, get familiar with our development workflow
- Ensure quality through writing automated tests
In the first 3 months:
- Work with product owners on resolving issues, breaking up work into meaningful tasks and delegate effectively
- Contribute to technical design and architecture discussions
- Mentor and help develop team members
- Ensure that development standards and processes are adhered to
In the first year:
- Own projects from conception to release
- Work with product owners to balance roadmap with engineering priorities
- Collaborate with other team leads to translate overarching business strategy and platform design into engineering tasks
Key skills and experience:
- 7+ years professional experience in a software engineering environment
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent work experience
- Experience leading a team in an agile environment
- Experience with Continuous Integration concepts and tools
- Experience delivering highly available and reliable systems
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- May be required to be part of an on-call rotation
Nice to have skills and experience:
- Python or Perl knowledge is a great asset
- Experience building integrations with 3rd party systems
- Experience building large scale distributed systems
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.