Fiber Field Technician
Ting is a division of Tucows, a global Internet services company. Ting shook up the mobile industry in 2012, offering fair pricing, usable interfaces and shockingly non-phone-company-like customer support. Today we have over 250,000 devices and 150 dedicated employees in multiple locations. We were also the highest rated US cell phone service by Consumer Reports in both 2014 and 2016.
Now we are investing millions in fiber networks in the US, and partnering with towns and cities to change what Americans expect from their Internet service provider. We have already launched Gigabit speed service in Charlottesville, VA, Westminster, MD, and Holly Springs, North Carolina--and we are actively building and planning new markets.
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is a provider of network access, domain names and other Internet services. Since 1994, the business has grown from our signature shareware to wholesale and retail domain name registration and wholesale email boxes, spam filter and SSL certificates, to mobile phone service and now symmetrical Gigabit Internet service via fiber-to-the-premises. Today, Tucows employs over 400 people and provides services to millions of customers around the world.
Are you ready to be part of an energetic and growing team with the expansion of “Crazy Fast Fiber Internet” service in multiple markets across the U.S.
This position is responsible to be part of a fiber construction team, including blowing and splicing fiber. This position reports to the Fiber Construction Manager or Fiber Deployment Manager.
This position is responsible for regularly performing installation and maintenance of the outside plant fiber network to include construction elements such as conduit, fiber, splice domes, cabinets, and some central office work. OSP Techs share responsibility with local contractors for both safety and quality within the market.
The role includes:
- Always considering Safety First when working and driving
- Driving a company vehicle
- Performing installation and testing of our fiber network and maintenance dispatches, as needed, to deliver crazy-fast Gigabit Internet services to both residential and commercial customers
- Liaising with Fiber Construction Manager/OSP Technician Lead for any fiber restoration efforts.
- Ensuring all required materials for installation and maintenance are properly checked out from Inventory
- Proactively and consistently review today’s scheduled dispatches and assist where needed to maintain scheduled productivity
- Participate in local marketing events as needed
- Conduct site surveys as required
- Participate in on-call rotation
- Attend meetings
- All other duties assigned by manager
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Lineman work(experience operating and working in a bucket truck)
- Commitment to working and leading safely, in compliance with OSHA regulations and company policies
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Construction experience preferred
- Ability to read and interpret construction maps to build fiber network required
- Telecommunications and/or Cable experience preferred
- Fiber optic splicing/terminating experience preferred
- Strong communication skills required
- Great customer service skills required
- Experience with fiber to the home (FTTH) networks preferred but not required
- Telecom or data wiring experience preferred.
- Ability and willingness to work both indoors and outdoors in all types of weather
- Comfortable with hand tools, power tools, test equipment and ladders