Kafka Administrator - Remote
Tucows provides domain names, Internet services such as email hosting, and other valuable services to customers around the world. We also provide mobile phone services all across the U.S., and crazy fast fiber Internet access in select U.S. towns and cities.
We've given some serious thought to who we are as a company, what our goals are, and how we're going to achieve them. We have made a dedication to the principles that guide our everyday decisions.
We work as a team to exceed our customers' expectations. We protect the Tucows brand by delivering the highest quality standards in every aspect of our business. Even though we’re a pretty large company, we strive to limit bureaucracy and get good ideas off the ground quickly. We believe anyone, at any level in the organization, can bring forward ideas, initiatives and creative input.
Our platforms provide 24x7 availability and a high degree of scalability and enable millions and millions of email messages, API calls, and transactions, every day. We work in real-time, so it requires a steady hand and a cool head.
We are inviting experienced Kafka administrators to join our team, which builds and maintains a host of services that are used across all of Tucows’ major business units. We are evolving our platforms to microservices and event driven architectures on based on the Kafka streaming platform.
What You’ll Do
Serve as a trusted advisor, providing domain expertise, guidance, and standard methodology recommendations to enable Kafka integrations, including topics, producers, consumers, Schema Registry, Kafka Control Center, KSQL, and streaming applications. Collaborate with development teams to understand the technical data and performance requirements for platforms and services, and ensure they properly utilize our Kafka infrastructure.
- Build, secure, and maintain the overall Kafka infrastructure.
- Build the automation to provision, maintain, and monitor all aspects of the Kafka environment via infrastructure as code.
- Design, implement, and operate multi-datacenter Kafka infrastructure.
- Build monitoring dashboards and visualization to provide real-time insights and observability of Kafka clusters connectivity, security and performance.
- Identify bottlenecks and tune to optimize Kafka performance and throughput.
- Ensure all disaster recovery protocols are tested with routine backup and recovery exercises.
- Learn, grow, and have fun!
Who You Are
You have substantive Kafka administrator experience and a consistent record of installing, configuring, and managing Kafka clusters. Including implementing security standards for the cluster and Kafka services, such as TLS for wire encryption.
- Solid understanding of streaming message delivery semantics.
- Demonstrable experience with the Kafka components and zookeeper.
- Experienced with automated configuration management tools, playbooks, such as SaltStack, containers, and version control systems.
- Experienced with DevOps practices, and tools and demonstrative experience increasing an organization's ability to deliver applications and services at high velocity.
- You know, and can demonstrate, the value of agile processes, continuous integration, and continuous delivery.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- You love to collaborate, are a great teammate, an excellent listener, and are fun to work with!
Who You Might Be
- Someone with wholesale or retail domain names experience.
- A person who’s worked for an ISP.
- Someone that’s familiar with telcos, especially MVNOs.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package with invested growth opportunities. If you are ready to be part of a fast-growing technology company where you determine your future, we want to hear from you.
Tucows is committed to maintaining a diverse work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. If you have any accessibility requirements or concerns regarding the hiring process, please advise us, so we can provide suitable accommodation
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.