Kafka Administrator - Remote
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we’re the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world with tens of millions of domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We’re doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting Mobile) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We’re a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
We are inviting experienced Kafka administrators to join our team, which builds and maintains a host of services that are used across all of Tucows’ major business units. We are evolving our platforms to microservices and event driven architectures on based on the Kafka streaming platform.
What You’ll Do:
Serve as a trusted advisor, providing domain expertise, guidance, and standard methodology recommendations to enable Kafka integrations, including topics, producers, consumers, Schema Registry, Kafka Control Center, KSQL, and streaming applications. Collaborate with development teams to understand the technical data and performance requirements for platforms and services, and ensure they properly utilize our Kafka infrastructure.
- Build, secure, and maintain the overall Kafka infrastructure.
- Build the automation to provision, maintain, and monitor all aspects of the Kafka environment via infrastructure as code.
- Design, implement, and operate multi-datacenter Kafka infrastructure.
- Build monitoring dashboards and visualization to provide real-time insights and observability of Kafka clusters connectivity, security and performance.
- Identify bottlenecks and tune to optimize Kafka performance and throughput.
- Ensure all disaster recovery protocols are tested with routine backup and recovery exercises.
- Learn, grow, and have fun!
Who You Are:
You have substantive Kafka administrator experience and a consistent record of installing, configuring, and managing Kafka clusters. Including implementing security standards for the cluster and Kafka services, such as TLS for wire encryption.
- Solid understanding of streaming message delivery semantics.
- Demonstrable experience with the Kafka components and zookeeper.
- Experienced with automated configuration management tools, playbooks, such as SaltStack, containers, and version control systems.
- Experienced with DevOps practices, and tools and demonstrative experience increasing an organization's ability to deliver applications and services at high velocity.
- You know, and can demonstrate, the value of agile processes, continuous integration, and continuous delivery.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- You love to collaborate, are a great teammate, an excellent listener, and are fun to work with!
Who You Might Be:
- Someone with wholesale or retail domain names experience.
- A person who’s worked for an ISP.
- Someone that’s familiar with telcos, especially MVNOs.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package with invested growth opportunities. If you are ready to be part of a fast-growing technology company where you determine your future, we want to hear from you.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.