Project Manager- Ting Internet
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we’re the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world with tens of millions of domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We’re doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting Mobile) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We’re a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
In December 2015, technology blog Gizmodo listed Ting (a small Internet company operating out of an old warehouse in Liberty Village) as one of “The 6 Best Things That Happened to the Internet This Year” in the United States. What the what?
Ting is a division of Tucows, a global Internet services company. Ting shook up the mobile industry in 2012, offering fair pricing, usable interfaces and shockingly non-phone-company-like customer support. Today we have over 250,000 devices and 150 dedicated employees in multiple locations. We were also the highest rated US cellphone service by Consumer Reports in both 2014 and 2016.
Now we are investing millions in fiber networks and collaborating with small towns to change what Americans expect from their Internet service and their providers. (Oh, related point, Americans hate their cable companies even more than their cellphone providers.) We have already launched Gigabit speed Internet service in Charlottesville, Virginia, Westminster, Maryland and Holly Springs, North Carolina. People there are loving the speed and the customer support, and they are telling their friends.
About the opportunity:
As we move into additional markets (and as our existing ones grow), we are looking for a Project Manager in our Networks group. The Networks team is responsible to find new markets, setting them up, and focusing heavily on running them. We need someone who excels in a fast paced environment with lots of diverse, contending priorities and can handle a dash of ambiguity to boot.
What you’ll be doing:
- Leading construction projects in multiple locations: We have construction projects underway in multiple cities. You’ll responsible for ensuring those projects are on time and on budget. This will involve working closely with other members of our Networks team, operations, our vendor management team, support, marketing, product management and external suppliers to make sure everything is moving according to plan, and helping us tackle issues when it isn’t. You will be in the eye of the storm.
- Assisting various construction related elements as needed: From permits to inventory, there are many areas inside each build that need tracking and process help. We need your skills to help us establish processes and systems as necessary to be successful.
- Working cross-functionally inside the organization to complete complex enterprise projects: It takes a lot of work from multiple teams to deliver outstanding enterprise services. You’ll assist in everything from developing project plans, evaluating and communicating project risk, establishing schedules, leading procurement, controlling and monitoring projects and much more! You’ll be a key representative of the Networks department, acting as a business SME in helping to resolve a wide variety of day-to-day tasks and issues as they arise. You’ll need to establish various meaningful relationships, ensure the departments with which you work can turn to you for the right information and decisions.
If you think of yourself as an excellent project manager with a desire to do more than handle one-off projects, this job is for you!
A bit about you:
- Maintaining strong Customer & Vendor relations critical to the role, communication & service excellence are fundamental.
- Superb presentation skills, including the ability to converse at both business and technical levels
- Ability to occasionally travel will be required.(once in 4-6 weeks)
- Ability to work remotely
- Bachelor's Degree in Business equivalent experience.
- A minimum of five years of project management experience in construction, utilities or telecom.
- Strong program management skills: you will be expected to coordinate and schedule multiple long-term projects at the same time.
- Experience leading cross-functional teams and vendors in projects, including resource planning, scheduling, progress tracking and reporting.
- Ability to raise issues and advance them to senior management if necessary.
- Enjoys working in a “start-up” environment within a larger organization; you will be jumping into a new, upstart business. If you’re used to and only progress in a structured, precise environment, this role isn’t for you.
- Strong data, metrics and analysis skills.
- Experience in telecom/Fiber to the Premises is definitely a plus.
We believe diversity drives innovation. Our committed to unbias across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches, and diverse points of view that drive us forward every day.