Fiber Installation Technician
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we’re the second largest domain wholesaler in the world with 25 million domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We’re doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We’re a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
About the opportunity:
Are you ready to be part of an energetic and growing team planning the expansion of crazy-fast Internet service in multiple markets across the U.S.? This position resides in each local Ting town and is considered a technical leader among their peers and reports to the Fiber Installation Manager. This position is considered the most senior fiber installation and maintenance technician role in the town and shares those responsibilities with regularly performed inspections of both safety and quality within the market.
What you’ll be doing:
- Performing installation and maintenance dispatches, as needed, to deliver crazy-fast Gigabit Internet services to both residential and commercial customers.
- Liaising with Technical Training and Safety Manager to perform assigned safety and quality inspection scenarios.
- Liaising with OSP Technician Lead for any fiber restoration efforts.
- Ensuring all required materials for installation and maintenance are properly checked out from Inventory.
- Proactively and consistently review today’s scheduled dispatches and assist where needed to maintain scheduled productivity and provide technical coaching.
- Acting as the local senior technical escalation contact for your peers and Network Operations
- Participate in local marketing events as needed.
- Conduct site surveys as required
- Attend meetings as requested
- All other duties assigned by manager
A bit about you:
- Telecommunications and/or Cable experience required
- Fiber optic experience required
- Strong communication skills required
- Great customer service skills required
- Displays leadership qualities required
- Experience with fiber to the home (FTTH) networks preferred but not required
- The ability to assess different installation scenarios, and effectively determine required time, approach and equipment, will be required.
- Telecom or data wiring experience preferred.
- Ability and willingness to work both indoors and outdoors, and get dirty if need be.
- Comfortable with hand and power tools
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches, and diverse points of view that drive us forward every day.