Outside Plant Lead
Position: OSP Technician Lead
Ting is a division of Tucows, a global Internet services company. Ting shook up the mobile industry in 2012, offering fair pricing, usable interfaces and shockingly non-phone-company-like customer support. Today we have over 250,000 devices and 150 dedicated employees in multiple locations. We were also the highest rated US cell phone service by Consumer Reports in both 2014 and 2016.
Now we are investing millions in fiber networks in the US, and partnering with towns and cities to change what Americans expect from their Internet service provider. We have already launched Gigabit speed service in Charlottesville, VA, Westminster, MD, and Holly Springs, North Carolina, Sandpoint Idaho, Centennial Colorado, Fuquay-Varina North Carolina--and we are actively building and planning new markets.
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is a provider of network access, domain names and other Internet services. Since 1994, the business has grown from our signature shareware to wholesale and retail domain name registration and wholesale email boxes, spam filter and SSL certificates, to mobile phone service and now symmetrical Gigabit Internet service via fiber-to-the-premises. Today, Tucows employs over 400 people and provides services to millions of customers around the world.
Are you ready to be part of an energetic and growing team planning the expansion of crazy-fast Internet service in multiple markets across the U.S.? This position resides in each local Ting town and is considered a technical leader among their peers. Reporting to the Fiber Construction Manager, this position is considered the most senior OSP technician role in the town and shares the responsibility of construction work together with your team. This position also regularly performs inspections for both safety and quality across all teams, including contractors.
Are you ready to be part of an energetic and growing team planning the expansion of crazy-fast Internet service in multiple markets across the U.S.? This position resides in each local Ting town and is considered a technical leader among their peers. Reporting to the Fiber Construction Manager, this position is considered the most senior OSP technician in the town and shares the responsibility of construction with your team with regularly performed inspections of both safety and quality across all teams, including contractors.
The role includes:
- Performing construction related dispatches, as needed, to build network throughout residential and commercial neighborhoods.
- Liaising with Technical Training and Safety Manager to perform assigned safety and quality inspection scenarios.
- Accountability to the Project Manager of Fiber Construction related to MDU and Enterprise activities, including drop work.
- Ensuring all required materials for construction are properly checked out from Inventory.
- Proactively and consistently review today’s scheduled work and assist where needed to maintain scheduled productivity and provide technical coaching where necessary.
- Act as local technical leader regarding fiber restoration efforts and OSP troubleshooting.
- Acting as the local senior field construction escalation contact for your peers and Network Engineering.
- Conduct site surveys as required
- Participate in local marketing events as needed.
- Attend meetings as requested
- All other duties assigned by manager
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Commitment to working and leading safely, in compliance with OSHA regulations and company policies
- Possess valid driver’s license
- Outside plant construction experience required
- Fiber splicing/terminating experience required
- Ability to read and interpret construction maps to build fiber network
- Strong OSP troubleshooting abilities required
- Strong communication skills required
- Great customer service skills required
- Leadership qualities required
- Experience with fiber to the home (FTTH) networks preferred but not required
- The ability to assess different installation scenarios, and effectively determine required time, approach and equipment, will be required.
- Telecom or data wiring experience preferred.
- Ability and willingness to work both indoors and outdoors, and get dirty if need be.
- Comfortable with hand and power tools