Senior Software Engineer
Tucows has been on the Internet since people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is a quietly, wildly successful $600 million company. Over twenty five years, we have reinvented software distribution and domain name registration around the world and challenged multi-billion dollar phone and cable companies in the US, mostly out of a small warehouse in Liberty Village, Toronto.
Even though we’re a pretty large company, we strive to limit bureaucracy and get good ideas off the ground quickly. We believe anyone, at any level in the organization, can bring forward ideas, initiatives and creative input.
That’s where you come in. As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll play a major role in reinventing our core platform, development processes and tools.
We are seeking to hire a keen and self-motivated individual who loves the Internet, and loves learning and applying new technologies to complex problems.
You have notable experience developing software and are good at using languages like Python to implement features in distributed systems. You are comfortable working at scale on dozens of interdependent components across multiple environments. You are also capable of navigating large codebases and uncovering the complexity in existing systems. You are open to giving and receiving feedback, participating in code reviews and design discussions. In addition to the above, you are nimble and able to remain effective when priorities shift.
What you’ll be doing:
In the first 30 days:
- Join a team that is working on a greenfield project
- Gain deep understanding of our existing platforms
- Implement small stories and ensure quality through writing automated tests
In the first 3 months:
- Contribute to technical design and architecture discussions
- Participate in code reviews and ensure that development standards are adhered to
- Design and implement features of increasing complexity
In the first year:
- Share knowledge and act as a trusted mentor to junior team members.
- Own projects or features from conception to release
- Balance the need to ship code quickly with the need to make sound technical decisions.
Key skills and experience:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent work experience
- 7+ years professional experience in a software engineering environment
- Experience building microservices in Python
- Experience with Continuous Integration concepts and tools
- Experience delivering highly available and reliable systems
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
Nice to have skills and experience:
- Experience building integrations with 3rd party systems
- Familiarity with Kubernetes, Kafka and Cassandra
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Exposure to multiple programming languages
Tucows is committed to maintaining a diverse work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. If you have any accessibility requirements or concerns regarding the hiring process, please notify us so we can provide suitable accommodation