Systems Engineer - Remote
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we’re the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world with tens of millions of domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We’re doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting Mobile) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We’re a team of over 600 serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). It has also been smart and measured. Our success is built on a solid technology foundation thanks to a culture of DevOps excellence.
Do you live and breathe Linux? Are you one of those folks that correct people about what the elusive “cloud” is? Are you one of those people that laughs at jokes about binary? 1? Then hey, we might have a position that you might be interested in. Now, being serious, we’re looking for a systems administrator at heart that has experience in the DevOps world. Tucows is a fast paced, multi-product, multi-platform environment. We have many passionate and dedicated peers that would love for you to work with them!
We strive to be one of those companies that embrace the open-source community and all the technology that comes from it. We’re looking for a systems engineer that will be able to continue to build environments that focus on being reliable, secure and scalable. They should also be able to lead technical and architectural discussions with other departments.
The experience you will bring:
- 5+ years professional experience as a senior devops engineer or linux administrator
- Experience with different flavours of linux
- Understanding of experience with configuration management tools - Salt preferred
- Demonstrated performance tuning skills
- Familiarity with using version control systems
- Experience with handling large scale, virtualized environments
- Experience in the building, maintaining and deploying of docker containers
- Strong networking skills an asset, understanding vlans, snats, nats, vips etc.
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent work experience
- Very good overall communication skills (verbal and written)
- Proven understanding of Perl, Python, Bash scripting
- Positive and constructive attitude
Nice to have:
- Working knowledge of managing kubernetes clusters
- Experience with load balancer technology ex: F5, A10 …
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Contributions to an open-source project (of any kind)
- Experience in delivering HLS video content
- Experience with varnish cache
- Experience with DRM solutions such as Verimatrix VCAS platform.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.