Network Engineer - Remote
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we’re the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world with tens of millions of domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We’re doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting Mobile) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We’re a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
About the opportunity:
An acute focus will be on operating our international backbone that supports all Tucows services and business units. This is inclusive of MPLS routing, vendor management, automation systems, and monitoring infrastructure. Engineers that live in the happy intersection of “DevOps” tooling (idempotent scripts, CI/CD testing, source of truth, etc.), Automation (Ansible, Netmiko, NAPALM, Salt), IP networking, and strong peer collaboration are encouraged to apply.
This role is 100% remote friendly, however at least twice a year we like to meet up together (of course, this doesn’t apply during a global pandemic). Hires may choose to relocate to our HQ in Toronto, work from our other established offices, and/or work from home. Peers within the team are spread over 4 timezones (PST, EST, GMT, and CET) - we overlap around EST as much as reasonably possible. Strong personal life balance is not a catchphrase here, vacations and flexible time are the norm. Your peers have operated large Internet Exchanges, worn hostmaster@ duties (when that was still a thing), RV’d across the states, built giant DnD dice, and contributed to FOSS projects. We look forward to meeting you!
What you’ll be doing:
- Designing, building, testing, implementing, and optimizing highly available global network infrastructure in accordance with business requirements and industry standard methodologies
- Participate operating the Tucows Core (MPLS, L3 routing, WDM) for new IP project roll-out, expansion and special project implementations
- Analyze and resolve network problems in a timely and accurate fashion, including issues related to L3 routing (generally BGP/OSPF based), L2 (MEF, ERPS, etc) metropolitan regional networks, and related infrastructure
- Continuously assess the network architecture as part of the growth road map to meet Tucows' strategic needs , more traditionally known as capacity planning
- Pro-actively offers proposals to improve the network, for both technical and operational efficiency
- Participate in the post-mortem analysis and propose changes that will prevent similar issues from occurring in the future
- Drive monitoring efforts with NOC to improve tooling and resolution process
- Receive mentorship from peer and senior leadership
- 3+ years proven track record designing, operating, and implementing IP networks
- Familiarity with one or more programming languages
- A customer-centric focus to advocate for our users, your peers, and the service as a whole
- In-depth understanding of different network architectures and protocols, their strengths, weaknesses and appropriate use.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to translate complicated technical concerns to non-technical individuals
- Organizational, project and program management planning skills
- Comfortable using PM tools such as Jira, Wrike, or other project management suites
- Familiarity with collaboration tools such as Google Meet, Slack, Lucidchart, etc.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.