Fiber Construction Technician- Locator
Today, we’re the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world with tens of millions of domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We’re doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting Mobile) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We’re a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
About the opportunity:
This position will be part of a fiber blowing and splicing team and will be reporting to the Fiber Construction Manager. This position will primarily be responsible to perform accurate locates of underground utilities within a requested work area. Other duties will include performing installation and maintenance of outside plant fiber network to include construction elements such as conduit, fiber, splice domes, cabinets, and some central office work. OSP Tech will share responsibility with local contractors for both safety and quality within the market.
What you’ll be doing:
- Using GIS maps, observational skills, and locating equipment to accurately locate underground facilities
- Performing installation of our fiber network and maintenance dispatches, as needed, to deliver crazy-fast Gigabit Internet services to both residential and commercial customers
- Liaising with Fiber Construction Manager/OSP Technician Lead for any fiber restoration efforts.
- Ensuring all required materials for installation and maintenance are properly checked out from Inventory
- Proactively and consistently review today’s scheduled dispatches and assist where needed to maintain scheduled productivity
- Participate in on-call rotation
- Participate in local marketing events as needed
- Conduct site surveys as required
- Attend meetings
- All other duties assigned by manager
A bit about you:
- Experience locating underground utilities preferred
- Experience reading CAD and GIS files preferred
- Construction experience preferred
- Telecommunications and/or Cable experience preferred
- Fiber optic experience preferred
- Strong communication skills required
- Great customer service skills required
- Displays leadership qualities
- Experience with fiber to the home (FTTH) networks preferred but not required
- The ability to assess different installation scenarios, and effectively determine the required time, approach and equipment, will be required.
- Telecom or data wiring experience preferred.
- Ability and willingness to work both indoors and outdoors in all types of weather
- Comfortable with hand tools/power tools and test equipment
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.