Engineering Manager - Web
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we’re the second largest domain wholesaler in the world with 25 million domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We’re doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We’re a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
Ting, a division of Tucows, offers cell phone service all across the US and fiber Internet in select towns and cities. We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to lead one of Ting backend services, that is focused on building and maintaining multiple Ting shared services. Speaking of the team, it’s a bunch of smart, ambitious and motivated developers. Given that you share these qualities, you’ll fit right in!
We work in real-time on live systems… so it requires a steady hand and a cool head. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong (we’re optimists… but we’re also realists!) And that needs to be accounted for.
Here’s what you can expect your work experience to look like:
In the first 30 days:
- Gain deep understanding of our platform
- Get to know team members reporting to you
- Implement small stories and fix bugs
- Ensure quality through writing automated tests
First 3 months:
- Contribute to technical design and architecture discussions.
- Coach and help develop team members in their career progression.
- Ensure that development standards and processes are adhered to.
- Collaborate with other teams and partner to drive projects forward
- Design a hiring plan and of course start hiring!
- Work closely with product managers to make sure there is alignment between the two teams
In the first year:
- Set long term goals and drive the team towards achieving those goals
- Own projects from conception to release
- Work with product owners to balance roadmap with engineering priorities
- Collaborate with other team leads to translate overarching business strategy and platform design into engineering tasks
Key skills and experience:
- 6+ years professional experience in a software engineering environment
- Experience leading a team in an agile environment
- Experience with Continuous Integration concepts and tools
- Experience in building scalable services using event driven architecture.
- Experience with building / growing teams.
- Experience delivering highly available and reliable systems
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
Nice to have skills and experience:
- Experience with Kafka technology and HashiCorp stack. We love HashiCorp Stack!.
- Knowledge of the wireless telecommunication business.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches, and diverse points of view that drive us forward every day.