Fiber Installation Technician
Ting is a division of Tucows, a global Internet services company. Ting shook up the mobile industry in 2012, offering fair pricing, usable interfaces and shockingly non-phone-company-like customer support. Today we have over 250,000 devices and 150 dedicated employees in multiple locations. We were also the highest rated US cellphone service by Consumer Reports in both 2014 and 2016.
Now we are investing millions in fiber networks in the US, and partnering with towns and cities to change what Americans expect from their Internet service provider. We have already launched Gigabit speed service in Charlottesville, VA, Westminster, MD, Holly Springs, North Carolina and Centennial, Colorado--and we are actively building and planning new markets.
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is a provider of network access, domain names and other Internet services. Since 1994, the business has grown from our signature shareware to wholesale and retail domain name registration and wholesale email boxes, spam filter and SSL certificates, to mobile phone service and now symmetrical Gigabit Internet service via fiber-to-the-premises. Today, Tucows employs over 400 people and provides services to millions of customers around the world.
Are you ready to be part of an energetic and growing team with the expansion of “Crazy Fast Fiber Internet” service in multiple markets across the U.S.?
This position is responsible to be a part of a fiber installation and service team. This position reports to the Fiber Installation Manager or Fiber Deployment Manager.
This position is responsible for performing daily scheduled installations and service calls to deliver our services to residential and commercial customers. This process includes installing and splicing fiber, activating services, educating customers, and troubleshooting when necessary.
The role includes:
- Always considering Safety First when working and driving
- Interfacing with customers on a daily basis
- Driving company vehicle
- Assessing different installation scenarios, and effectively determining required time, approach and equipment
- Installing cable required to connect customers to fiber optic Internet service
- Splicing fiber optic on premises
- Completing fiber optic installation for residential customers
- Working indoors and outdoors during the installation process
- Working with hand tools and test sets to complete the installation process
- Working from ladders
- Liaising with OSP Technicians for any fiber restoration efforts
- Ensuring all required materials for installation and maintenance are properly checked out from Inventory
- Participating in local marketing events as needed
- Conducting site surveys as required
- Attending meetings as required
- Participating in on-call rotation
- All other duties assigned by manager
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Telecom or data wiring experience preferred, we will provide on the job training. No fiber optic experience is necessary
- Strong communication skills: the ability to effectively communicate in real-time with multiple team members and business partners is required
- Ability to identify and remedy service affecting problems
- Ability to work outdoors, and comfort working with hand tools, ladders, and test equipment
- Data cabling experience preferred