Fiber Construction Technician
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we’re the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world with tens of millions of domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We’re doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting Mobile) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We’re a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
About the opportunity:
This position is responsible for regularly performing installation and maintenance of the outside plant fiber network to include construction elements such as conduit, fiber, splice domes, cabinets, and some central office work. OSP Techs share responsibility with local contractors for both safety and quality within the market.
What You’ll be doing:
- Always considering Safety First when working and driving
- Driving a company vehicle
- Performing installation and testing of our fiber network and maintenance dispatches, as needed, to deliver crazy-fast Gigabit Internet services to both residential and commercial customers
- Liaising with Fiber Construction Manager/OSP Technician Lead for any fiber restoration efforts.
- Ensuring all required materials for installation and maintenance are properly checked out from Inventory
- Proactively and consistently review today’s scheduled dispatches and assist where needed to maintain scheduled productivity
- Participate in local marketing events as needed
- Conduct site surveys as required
- Participate in on-call rotation
- Attend meetings
- All other duties assigned by manager
- Commitment to working and leading safely, in compliance with OSHA regulations and company policies
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Construction experience preferred
- Ability to work up to 50’ high with either bucket truck or ladder
- Experience as an aerial telecom lineman preferred
- Ability to read and interpret construction maps to build fiber network required
- Telecommunications and/or Cable experience preferred
- Fiber optic splicing/terminating experience preferred
- Strong communication required
- Great customer service skills required
- Experience with fiber to the home (FTTH) networks preferred but not required
- Telecom or data wiring experience preferred.
- Ability and willingness to work both indoors and outdoors in all types of weather
- Agreeable with hand tools, power tools, test equipment and ladders
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.