DevOps Team Lead, DNS - Remote
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we’re the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world with tens of millions of domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We’re doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting Mobile) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We’re a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
About the Team
At Tucows, we have multiple external DNS farms that provide DNS services for multiple products and business lines. Maintaining our DNS infrastructure and service availability is important for the stability of our systems and our customers. The DNS team monitors and maintains the current DNS infrastructure, dealing with attacks and capacity issues. They also have an exciting role in upgrading the DNS infrastructure onto new hardware and technology as well as doing upgrades to keep in line with new features and security updates. This often involves performance testing, improved metrics and monitoring to get better visibility into the health of the systems.
What you'll be doing:
- Lead a team that will maintain and improve our DNS infrastructure
- Plan and execute the migration of our legacy DNS infrastructure to our new on-prem OpenStack cloud
- Support the platform as part of an on-call rotation
The experience you'll bring:
- 5+years experience maintaining public-facing DNS infrastructure
- Experience with PowerDNS, Bind, DNS Dist and/or similar technologies
- Ability to analyze network traffic for unexpected traffic (ex: DDOS)
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code principles
- Good understanding of Unix Systems and bash scripting
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to learn quickly and comprehend new technologies.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, with an ability to build relationships.
- Work effectively within a team environment.
Nice to have skills/experience
- Terraform for provisioning infrastructure
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.