Database Application Developer
Tucows has been on the Internet since people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is a quietly, wildly successful $600 million company. Over twenty five years, we have reinvented software distribution and domain name registration around the world and challenged multi-billion dollar phone and cable companies in the US, mostly out of a small warehouse in Liberty Village, Toronto.
Even though we’re a pretty large company, we strive to limit bureaucracy and get good ideas off the ground quickly. We believe anyone, at any level in the organization, can bring forward ideas, initiatives and creative input.
That’s where you come in. As a database application developer, you’ll play a crucial role in evolving our platform and adopting newer technologies. You’ll be part of a cross functional team, working in a dynamic, fast-paced successful and yet stable company.
We are looking for a senior developer to join one of our agile teams in Kirkland, Washington. The team is responsible for a significant part of our domains platform. We are seeking to hire a keen and self-motivated individual who loves the Internet, and loves learning and applying new technologies to complex problems.
You will make heavy use of your experience and abilities in design, development, implementation, support, and troubleshooting for our 24/7 highly-available, highly-reliable client/server product.
You have the ability to navigate large and complex applications and you are equally comfortable working with databases and have a strong grasp of advanced SQL concepts. You understand core Internet infrastructure such as TCP/IP, DNS, and HTTP. You're comfortable working at scale on dozens of interdependent components across multiple environments.
In addition to the above, you are nimble and able to remain effective when priorities shift. You’re comfortable working on legacy systems as well as building completely new services.
What you’ll be doing:
In the first 30 days:
- Gain deep understanding of our platform
- Implement small stories and fix bugs
In the first 3 months:
- Work with other developers to improve application stability and establish best practices
- Migrate platform logic from the database to the web application layer
In the first year:
- Contribute to major technical design and architecture discussions
- Work with product owners to balance product roadmap with engineering priorities
Key skills and experience:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent work experience
- 7+ years professional experience in a software engineering environment
- Knowledge and significant experience designing, developing, debugging and deploying SQL Server/CLR stored procedures, triggers and T-SQL.
- Familiarity with MSSQL administration including replication
- Familiarity with linked servers and distributed queries
- Experience delivering highly available and reliable systems
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- May be required to be part of an on-call rotation
Nice to have skills and experience:
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Microsoft SQL Server preferred
- Experience with Python and .NET web based application development, or equivalent
- Experience building integrations with 3rd party systems
- Experience building large scale distributed systems
- Experience with Continuous Integration concepts and tools
- Familiarity with Kafka and Cassandra
P.s You might remember Tucows as the place to download software before software download sites got gross... not to mention almost entirely irrelevant. That was indeed us. That was also a long time ago on a server far, far away.
Tucows is committed to maintaining a diverse work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. If you have any accessibility requirements or concerns regarding the hiring process, please notify us so we can provide suitable accommodation.