Sr Android Developer - Remote
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we’re the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world with tens of millions of domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We’re doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting Mobile) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We’re a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.Ting, a division of Tucows, offers cell phone service all across the US and fiber Internet in select towns and cities. We’re looking for Sr Android Developer to help building the new Ting mobile app and other support apps. Speaking of the team, it’s a bunch of smart, ambitious and motivated developers. Given that you share these qualities, you’ll fit right in. In addition to that we need you to help us grow the team, to deal with the exciting.
We work in real-time on live systems… so it requires a steady hand and a cool head. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong (we’re optimists… but we’re also realists) and that needs to be accounted for.
Here’s what you can expect your work experience to look like:
In the first 30 days:
- Gain deep understanding of our Android app efforts and APIs
- Get to know team members working with you
- Implement small stories and fix bugs
- Ensure quality through writing automated tests
- Understand our technical debt
- Contribute to technical design and architecture discussions of the mobile app and pipeline.
- Lead the refactoring/rewriting efforts of some of our legacy code, such as rewriting old Java code in Kotlin.
- Help in building the engineering practice within your team.
- Lead the releasing of our Android app to the store.
- Set long term goals and drive the team towards achieving those goals
- Own technical projects from conception to release
- Work with product owners to balance roadmap with engineering priorities
- Work with team leads to translate overarching business strategy and platform design into engineering tasks
- Refactor/rewrite some legacy services to improve scalability, observability and other cool stuff related to clean code!
- 3 years developing native mobile applications or an equivalent level of work experience, and a track record of substantial contributions to software projects with high business impact
- Expertise in Kotlin and Java, and in Google and third party frameworks, and knowledge of modern architecture patterns such as MVVM, MVI
- Experience working with JSON APIs.
- Experience with mentoring, coaching, and pairing with coworkers
- Experience writing clean code that performs well at scale
- Experience with building multiple apps that share the same components
- Collaboration and Teamwork: works with others to deliver results, meaningfully contributing to the team and prioritizing group needs over individual needs
- Creativity and Innovation: seeks new and better ways of doing things, generating original and imaginative ideas, products, and/or solutions
- Problem Solving: uses an organized and logical approach to find solutions to complex problems and looks beyond the obvious to understand the root cause of problems and proposes several possible solutions
- Resilience, Tolerance for Change/Ambiguity: can effectively cope with change, finding ways to advance work and projects
- Familiarity with using version control systems
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Very good overall communication skills (verbal and written)
- Experience working in an agile environment.
- Knowledge of Android device support
Nice to have:
- Experience with API application development
- Contributions to an open-source project (of any kind).
- An account on Github.com with samples of your code.
- Experience with the iOS ecosystem.
- Familiarity with pull requests
- Familiarity with design tools like Figma
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.