Senior Software Engineer
Ting is a division of Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX), a quiet, but very successful, twenty-year-old global Internet services company. From its humble beginnings as a software sharing platform, Tucows is now the world’s second largest domain registrar and provider of wholesale Internet services, and through its brand, Ting, is revolutionizing mobile and Internet access in the U.S.
Ting, a division of Tucows, offers cell phone service all across the US and fiber Internet in select towns and cities. We’re looking for Sr Software Engineers to help building new Ting shared services Ting websites. Speaking of the team, it’s a bunch of smart, ambitious and motivated developers. Given that you share these qualities, you’ll fit right in. In addition to that we need you to help us grow the team, to deal with the exciting.
We work in real-time on live systems… so it requires a steady hand and a cool head. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong (we’re optimists… but we’re also realists) and that needs to be accounted for.
Here’s what you can expect your work experience to look like:
In the first 30 days:
- Gain deep understanding of our platform
- Get to know team members working with you
- Implement small stories and fix bugs
- Ensure quality through writing automated tests
- Understand our technical debt
In the first 3 months:
- Contribute to technical design and architecture discussions.
- Lead the refactoring/rewriting efforts of some of our legacy services.
- Help in building the engineering practice within your team.
- Collaborate with other team members to drive projects forward.
In the first year:
- Set long term goals and drive the team towards achieving those goals
- Own technical projects from conception to release
- Work with product owners to balance roadmap with engineering priorities
- Work with team leads to translate overarching business strategy and platform design into engineering tasks
- Refactor/rewrite some legacy services to improve scalability, observability and other cool stuff related to clean code!
What you’ll be doing:
- 5+ years professional experience in a software engineering environment
- Experience with Ruby on Rails.
- Solid understanding of relational database concepts
- Demonstrated performance tuning skills
- Experience with MySQL, or similar
- Familiarity with using version control systems
- Strong troubleshooting skills.
- Experience working with old legacy code.
- Experience with API application development
- Very good overall communication skills (verbal and written)
- Positive and constructive attitude
Nice to have:
- Perl knowledge is an asset, but not required
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Contributions to an open-source project (of any kind).
- An account on Github.com with samples of your code.
- Experience with event driven architecture.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches, and the diverse points of view drives us forward every day.